Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my budgie, Floss has been diagnosed with Megabacteria a fortnight ago. He was hospitalized at the vet since he was constantly throwing up and had black watery poops. After staying there for 4 days, he seemed to be better and more energetic, however, the moment he came home he started vomiting and appeared extremely fluffed up and sleepy. I instantly took him back to the vet the next day where he was hospitalized again. After staying there for 3 days, I had to bring him home as one of the staff at the clinic contracted COVID. Floss appeared extremely healthy when I took him home as he was chirping and ate a lot. I've been providing him with fungilin in his water and administering it to him as directed by the vet doctor, however, the second day after I brought him home, he has completely relapsed. He started to violently vomit at 3 am and lost a lot of weight.
I'm not sure what I am doing wrong...
I've cleaned his cage with a diluted solution of white vinegar, and I've been ensuring he drinks his medicine twice a day. I even purchased a hot ait purifier to keep him warm but he remains constantly sleepy and completely unwilling to eat. Currently, his poops are just white urates with yellowish liquid.
Please help me :((((
I'm scared of what will happen to him since I can't rely on the vet clinic for the next couple of weeks. I've read previous posts regarding megabacteria but i would like some more advice if possible on what to do for Floss.

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
You are not doing anything wrong, this is a tough illness to treat and it is not uncommon for birds to relapse, a secondary bacterial infection is also sometimes developed so Floss needs to be checked for that. Fungilin is the trade name for Amphotericin B which is the only drug that can treat an active infection of Avian Gastric Yeast (Megabacteria), I have just treated one of by birds with it for 30 days, however here in the US we do not have a version of it that goes into the water, we have a solution that has to be administered directly into the mouth. How are you ensuring that Floss is getting the medicine? It is important to find another vet that could take over his care while your vet is closed, Floss needs to be gavage fed and that needs to be done by an experienced person, did the vet leave any referral info for the clients as a resource while they are closed? You can use this link to find an avian vet by entering your country in the appropriate field https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Cody, thank you for your reassuring response. I highly appreciate it.
I've been feeding Floss 0.5 ml of the water solution twice a day via syringe.
Unfortunately, there aren't any avian vets nearby so I'll continue to monitor him and try my best to ensure I cater to his needs. He has begun to eat some seeds and drink the medicated water on his own, however, his poops have changed from white yellow urates to black sludge. Would you happen to know if this is a sign his condition is improving?
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
If he is eating a bit it may be that what you are seeing as black sludge is the digestive process trying its best to process what he has eaten. A few seeds will not be enough to sustain him, what is his usual diet?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually, he'll have some leafy greens, some slices of vegetables or fruit but his main diet consists of seeds.
I've been trying to convert him to a pellet diet for the past month but seeing as he needs to eat as much as he can, I've just been providing him with seeds as he is more likely to eat them. Yesterday he ate a few slices of carrot but today he hasn't touched any :((
I won't be giving him any fruit since I've read that sugar could worsen his condition.
Is there anything in particular that you would recommend to feed him?

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
While he is ill don't try to convert him to pellets, just give him is favorite foods, try some spray millet and try grating the carrot for him and no fruit as you have said.

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Cody has given you excellent advice.

Avian Gastric Yeast
Megabacteria is Budgerigars
Macrorhabdus in Budgerigars//Avian Gastric Yeast

Avian Association of Veterinarians

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,898 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

I’m so sorry to hear of Floss’s illness! Cody and FaeryBee have given you excellent advice and resources.

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything. If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Cheers! 👋

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello everyone…
Floss passed away today around midday after he vomited in the early hours of the morning. For the past three days he did not vomit and was eating heartily though he was still sleepy. Yesterday he even had enough energy to come out his cage on his own and explore like he usually did prior to his diagnosis. I thought he was getting better so its a huge shock to me that he passed away today. I still can’t believe that he is gone…
Thank you everyone who have replied to my post and provided me with advice, i highly appreciated it.

·
Administrator
57,862 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss of little Floss.

It is because of Love we Grieve

and
Because of Love we are also comforted
in our Sorrow

In Memories, may you find Healing
In Time, may you find Peace
In the Power of Love, may you find Comfort

Fly high and soar freely little Floss; rest in peace now wee man

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.