Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

I have two birds that have recently mated, so I thought it was about time I figured out what mutations they are - so I can identify the chicks when they are fully feathered...

I was thinking that the 1st Bird is a Violet Recessive Pied (the most amazingly bright violet, almost identical to the pic) I'm pretty sure it's a boy too, cause he's over a year old, and his cere is pink... (Athough this morning it looked like it had the slightest tinge of brown)

I also thought the second bird was a Sky Blue Opaline - but her wing markings are blue - so I was a little confused...

Thanks in advance for your help...

Anj

Attachments

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Violet (cobalt) recessive pied ****, sky blue spangle opaline hen.

All chicks will be split for recessive pied (unless the hen is split for it already which is unlikely), all cocks will be split for opaline, unless the **** is split for opaline already in which case you will get 50% opaline cocks and hens, and 50% normal hens / cocks split opaline.
You should any combination of
Sky blues and cobalts, plus a chance of getting a violet factor..
50% chicks will be spangle.

So basically you should get mostly normal sky blues and cobalts split for a couple of things. You'll get a few spangles, but unless the **** is split for sex linked genes you shouldnt get many surprises.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Recessive pied Cobalt Violet **** and sky blue opaline spangle hen

If neither bird is split for anything you would get 50% spangle and 50% normal. Spangle is dominant it can't be carried as split - I think Guthwulf had a "Blonde moment")

If the violet is double factor all the chicks will inherit it as single factor. If the violet is single factor half of the chicks will inherit it. The chicks should be about half 0 dark factor (sky blue) and half 1 dark factor (cobalt). The violet should show well on the cobalts but might be difficult to detect on the sky blues

All the male chicks will be split for opaline and all the chicks of both sexes will be split for recessive pied

The opaline and the recessive pied will only appear in the chicks if the other parent has a hidden gene for either mutation

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you both for your help... Your both such stars!!

Happy Easter... Anj

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.