Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help with this baby's mutation? I know it is Opaline Spangle, but I'm unsure of the body colour. To me it looks like there is some violetn but the colour is so light. The dad is a skyblue/Opaline and the mother is a Mauve RP spangle. Maybe she could be a cobalt violet to get this baby.
Bird Eye Parrot Beak Fawn

Bird Beak Parrot Feather Wing

Dog Carnivore Felidae Dog breed Small to medium-sized cats The mother is in front on the right hand side. In this pic the mother looks like a cobalt? The two babies on the left - greywings are not this mother's babies!

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
If the parents are sky blue (no dark factors, or dd) and mauve (2 dark factors, or DD), then the only color the chicks can be is cobalt (1 dark factor, or Dd).

Can you post a better picture of the mother?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the parents are sky blue (no dark factors, or dd) and mauve (2 dark factors, or DD), then the only color the chicks can be is cobalt (1 dark factor, or Dd).

Can you post a better picture of the mother?
That's what I was thinking! I will try over the weekend to get a better pic. Now I leave so early for work and get back after dark. I've tried to get a pic of her, but she is difficult to get a good pic.

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
The chick looks like a sky violet in those pics :) It doesn't look dark enough for a cobalt, and the little color I can see on the mom does not look like she is dark enough to be a mauve , but I can not see her body clearly :)

Was this a cage breeding or colony? Just wondering of the parents of this chick are 100% known :)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The chick looks like a sky violet in those pics :) It doesn't look dark enough for a cobalt, and the little color I can see on the mom does not look like she is dark enough to be a mauve , but I can not see her body clearly :)

Was this a cage breeding or colony? Just wondering of the parents of this chick are 100% known :)
I agree with you. This was cage breeding.

·
Member of the Month January 2013
4,870 Posts
There is only one way to really know for sure.....You are going to have to send the bird to me :D I will check the color and let you know. I will take great care of my new bird so you will have no worries.
Rick

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:nono:
There is only one way to really know for sure.....You are going to have to send the bird to me :D I will check the color and let you know. I will take great care of my new bird so you will have no worries.
Rick
This bird isn't much really, but I like her very much.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Susan is right. A sky and a mauve will give you all cobalt chicks.
OK, thanks, but what do you think the baby is. I agree with Lindsey that the baby is a skyblue violet - although I've never seen one and I had a different picture in my head how a skyblue violet looks like - I thought it would look more like a cobalt, but this baby is for sure a violet. Isn't it possible that it could be a cobalt violet dilute? Remember that the mother was colony bred. The dad on the other hand was cage bred by me, but as you all know some genes can be hidden for some generations. I'm just asking! What do you clever people think?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
If the baby is a sky blue violet, then the parents must be either both sky blues, or one sky, one cobalt.

I believe the color and markings are way too heavy to be a dilute.

This is my sky dilute on the left.
Bird Parrot Pet supply Beak Bird supply

What color were the siblings?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.