Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I'm new here, I found TalkBudgies while trying to find information about my budgies mutations.
I'm a newbie with budgies, I've only had budgies for about a year and a half now, and I mostly have them as pets (I tame mine and let them free fly around the house).

I was sold two "rainbow" budgies and while I'm not sure if they are actually rainbows, I'd like to know if they could possibly get a few rainbows if bred together when they're older.
Also if not rainbows, what are the mutations?
They have very soft yellow heads and soft yellow in their wings.

Any thoughts?

Female:

Male:

Both:

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
18,303 Posts
Hi there!
They actually ARE both rainbow budgies! They may look slightly less greenish than a sky blue rainbow when they're older, especially the violet one, since they are both cobalt and the at least the female is at minimum single factor violet.

Are you sure they're not related? They look like siblings. Additionally, before the time comes when you want to breed them, it's extremely important to do lots of research as well as have a good avian vet you've connected with ~ this is not something to be taken lightly!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there!
They actually ARE both rainbow budgies! They may look slightly less greenish than a sky blue rainbow when they're older, especially the violet one, since they are both cobalt and the at least the female is at minimum single factor violet.

Are you sure they're not related? They look like siblings. Additionally, before the time comes when you want to breed them, it's extremely important to do lots of research as well as have a good avian vet you've connected with ~ this is not something to be taken lightly!
Thank you so very much for the reply!

Well, I visited the breeder and I was told they weren't siblings. He had at least 10 rainbow couples in there, and he pointed out which couples were the parents of each of them. 🥰

I was just looking for a confirmation because at least for the male, all the information I see online usually points to clearwings and I didn't think he was one, so I thought that he could be offspring of rainbow, but not actually a visual rainbow.

And yes! I will take all due caution and do all the research before time comes, I don't plan on breeding them before I'm ready and know exactly what I'm doing. I'm also planning on becoming an actual breeder in the next year or so, so I'm in for a big learning trip!

Thank you once again! 😄

·
Super Moderator
18,303 Posts
You're very welcome!! Actually neither of them appear to be clearwing - they both seem to be full body greywing, which is also generally accepted in the "rainbow" mutation. This is a combination of clearwing and greywing so they have the same body color as a clearwing but darker wings :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're very welcome!! Actually neither of them appear to be clearwing - they both seem to be full body greywing, which is also generally accepted in the "rainbow" mutation. This is a combination of clearwing and greywing so they have the same body color as a clearwing but darker wings :)
Thank you very much for the information!

All this is pretty new to me so I'm studying and trying to learn as much as I can!
I need to learn the difference between FBG and clearwing. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.