Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I now know I own two female birds (around 1 year of age each) and one male( nearing 6 years of age). My male has bonded wits one of the females, and I caught the baby making. Now I have already removed all items that could become a nesting area, and I completely rearranged the cage. After that she seems to be avoiding most of his advances but he keeps on trying to mate

I want to do what I can to prevent eggs but I'm worried about separating the male. I don't want him to get depressed or lonely and getting another bird is out of the question. I was wondering if anyone had any pointer on what I could do.

Also I fear that Nikko (my female) may be laying eggs sooon. I just don't feel okay wit hshaking them or boiling them. If she does have babies is their an appropriate time that I can separate the babies for selling or rehoming?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already read the article and did everything it said except separating male and female. I'm worried he will get lonely:sad3::sad3:.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
You could separate Nikko into her own cage and see how she goes. By doing so, you can also interrupt the laying cycle and make her go out of breeding condition. If you don't want to separate them, then do not give the pair any nesting areas. If the 3 budgies are in the same cage, you can also have many problems with the extra female if you decide to let your pair breed. She may interfere and fighting can happen resulting in broken eggs or even dead chicks.
If your Nikko does end up laying an egg or two, there is no problem at all to throw the eggs away because as long as she hasn't started to sit on them and to incubate, those eggs won't have life in them. It is possible to break the laying cycle and she won't continually lay just because you took the eggs away.

Good luck. :)

Reactions: jenamarie
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.