Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.
I've recently bought a breeding pair. They had 3 clutches before with a previous owner and are both about 2 years old. I've put them in my breeding cage and saw them mating 2 days later. They have their millets, corn, vitamin, cuttlebone, veggies, crushed boiled eggs. The hen has been interested with the nest box since day 1 but now, she spends more time in the nest box. It's been 4 days since I first saw them mating and hen has been spending some more time in the nest box. She's been biting the entrance of the nest box as well.
(1) My first Question is: the **** as well has been entering the nest box along with the hen...is this normal?
(2) The hen spends most of her time in the nest box during the day and sleeps outside with the **** at night, is this normal?
(3) I don't want to disturb the hen by checking for eggs, do you think the hen will be laying eggs? and if she has already laid eggs, is it normal that she's sleeping outside at night?:budgie:

Thanks guys.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
Yes, your hen's behaviour is perfectly normal. By now she is still on the process of tidying up the nest to get it ready for the eggs.
Once she starts to sleep on the nest for the night, that's when you should be expecting the first egg.
Usually hens start to fully incubate the eggs by the time they lay their 3rd egg.
It's also normal for the male to sometimes go inside the nest, some males like to be extra caring and supportive of their mates and spend the time with them on the nest.

If you haven't done so already, check the info on the stickies here at the breeding section, you will find most if not all of your questions answered.

Good luck with everything! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying.
How many days does it normally take for the budgie to lay the first egg? I've read some articles and some say 2 days and other 1 week.

·
Member of the Month Sept 2014
1,298 Posts
After a successful mating the hen should lay the first egg in 8- 10 days and then lay another egg every other day, you will notice that a few days before her first egg is due her poops will be massive, but not as regular, this is normal and a good sign that an egg is imminent.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After a successful mating the hen should lay the first egg in 8- 10 days and then lay another egg every other day, you will notice that a few days before her first egg is due her poops will be massive, but not as regular, this is normal and a good sign that an egg is imminent.
Thanks again. Is there any way to know if mating has been successful?:S:S:rolleyes:

·
1,298 Posts
I'd like to say that if the male has a smug look on his face then yes it was successful but the site moderators would probably kick me off :D there are no real visual signs but by the sound of it the mating was successful, the hen is spending time in the nesting box, she is chewing the wood, so yes it sounds promising, incidentally some people put wood shavings in the nesting box which the hen will invariably throw out, when she stops throwing them out then it is another sign that an egg is imminent :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are no real visual signs but by the sound of it the mating was successful, the hen is spending time in the nesting box, she is chewing the wood, so yes it sounds promising, incidentally some people put wood shavings in the nesting box which the hen will invariably throw out, when she stops throwing them out then it is another sign that an egg is imminent :)
Hey guys, thank you all for your help. I really appreciate. Just one thing. Is it normal if both the male and female are sleeping in the nest box at night? I thought it should be only the hen in the nest box at night.
I will keep you updated when eggs are laid and all. thanks:budgie::)

·
1,298 Posts
From past experience if the male is staying in the nesting box overnight with the hen it is definitely a good sign, it shows he is loving and is going to be a good provider, when the chicks hatch he will be busy providing food for the hen to feed to the chicks so he may not spend much time in the nesting box but for now he's there to support his mate, everything sounds great so far :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
From past experience if the male is staying in the nesting box overnight with the hen it is definitely a good sign, it shows he is loving and is going to be a good provider, when the chicks hatch he will be busy providing food for the hen to feed to the chicks so he may not spend much time in the nesting box but for now he's there to support his mate, everything sounds great so far :)
Great Pete:) really thank you for your help man
It's been 5 days since I first saw them mating, saw them mating this morning as well. When do you think it's good to open the nest box? because my nest box is inside of the cage. My cage is all made of wood and outside. Also if there's anything wrong with my cage, do tell me. thanks

Attachments

·
1,298 Posts
Hi David
Thanks for posting the photo, there is one thing that concerns me slightly, unless I'm mistaken you have 3 birds in each level, if you have a breeding pair then that pair must be in on their own, years ago some breeders used to "colony breed" but it always ended badly, either the birds would fight (sometimes to the death) or the chicks were attacked and often killed, the pair you are hoping to breed have to be in their own breeding box
Pete :)

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
I agree with Pete and would also like to add that it would be best to have a much easier access to the nest box and ideally have it attached into one of the cage's doors, so you could easily check the eggs, keep track when eggs were laid and also when the chicks are about to hatch. Not to mention you'd also need to check daily on the chicks to see how they are doing (if they need help with cleaning up when mother is not so attentive for example, see if chicks are developing well and do not have splayed legs, etc) and cleaning the nest box from all poop build up too.

There is a wealth of information on breeding at this section of the forums, so be sure to check it out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi David
Thanks for posting the photo, there is one thing that concerns me slightly, unless I'm mistaken you have 3 birds in each level, if you have a breeding pair then that pair must be in on their own, years ago some breeders used to "colony breed" but it always ended badly, either the birds would fight (sometimes to the death) or the chicks were attacked and often killed, the pair you are hoping to breed have to be in their own breeding box
Pete :)
Actually I've got 2 pairs who never breed before together in the upper cage which is a big one. And I've got the breeding pair and another pair who never breed as well just below the upper cage. but the level below the upper cage is divided. The breeding pair has it's own alone cage and the other pair next to the breeding pair is separated as well. am trying both colony and separate breeding method.

·
1,298 Posts
You may find that now the breeding pair are getting their act together ;) your other pairings start soon after as well, with regard to your experiment with colony breeding some of your birds, please keep a close eye on them, if you have any concerns then please put a solid partition between the two pairs to separate them to both avoid losses and keep the peace, it doesn't take much for budgies to abandon their duties as parents, please be careful :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
You may find that now the breeding pair are getting their act together ;) your other pairings start soon after as well, with regard to your experiment with colony breeding some of your birds, please keep a close eye on them, if you have any concerns then please put a solid partition between the two pairs to separate them to both avoid losses and keep the peace, it doesn't take much for budgies to abandon their duties as parents, please be careful :)
Actually i've been thinking of separating the 'colony' budgies as well. Each pair in a separate breeding cage. The two females in the colony have been showing interest in the nest boxes lately. I've just put them together as they have never laid eggs before and i read that colony breeding motivates them to lay eggs. I've already build another breeding cage. I will separate them soon, but i don't want to disturb the breeding pair just below who is spending most of her time in the nest box.:budgie:

·
1,298 Posts
To be honest Davish I would suggest you separate the pairs that you have in the colony cage now, if both hens come into breeding condition at the same time then feathers will fly with possibly fatal results, if one pair mate the other pair will be jealous and the hen especially could attack, as you probably know when a male bird bites he just nips and then let's go, when a female bird bites she doesn't let go, she hangs on with her powerful beak, hens can be extremely vicious and they can do a lot of damage, I would hate for you to lose a bird or be left with a severely injured bird, please Davish keep your breeding pairs separate in their own breeding box, read the stickies as suggested by Deb, the information is invaluable
Pete

·
Administrator
56,528 Posts
I agree with Pete.

Moving the pairs that are currently caged together into separate breeding cages at this time will not unduly disturb the hen that is currently nesting.

Having individual breeding cages for each pair is the safest way to go about breeding and is overall best for everyone of your budgies' well-being. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
To be honest Davish I would suggest you separate the pairs that you have in the colony cage now, if both hens come into breeding condition at the same time then feathers will fly with possibly fatal results, if one pair mate the other pair will be jealous and the hen especially could attack, as you probably know when a male bird bites he just nips and then let's go, when a female bird bites she doesn't let go, she hangs on with her powerful beak, hens can be extremely vicious and they can do a lot of damage, I would hate for you to lose a bird or be left with a severely injured bird, please Davish keep your breeding pairs separate in their own breeding box, read the stickies as suggested by Deb, the information is invaluable
Pete
I agree, I will do it asap. I need to make some changes with the free breeding cage and then will move one pair in it:budgie::) don't worry, am looking after them night and day. I will post a new pic soon, this is an old one. I've put natural branches in the cages, more nest boxes in the upper cage, cuttlebones, and build 2 more cages in the lower level. Will update you all about the breeding pair. Thanks:)

·
1,298 Posts
Great thanks Davish.
I would like to tell you what a very well respected Australian breeder once told me, he said "When you keep livestock you have to expect losses, but you have to do everything possible to keep the losses to a minimum" it sounds very basic but I have always followed this rule, we are responsible for our birds and we must do the very best for them, they aren't just budgies they are part of our family, as I'm sure you will agree :)

·
Administrator
56,528 Posts
I agree, I will do it asap. I need to make some changes with the free breeding cage and then will move one pair in it:budgie::) don't worry, am looking after them night and day. I will post a new pic soon, this is an old one. I've put natural branches in the cages, more nest boxes in the upper cage, cuttlebones, and build 2 more cages in the lower level. Will update you all about the breeding pair. Thanks:)
That's great -- I'm glad you'll be moving them soon!
We'll definitely be looking forward to some new pictures as well. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.