Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All;

Maybe some of you know my buddy's problem but in any case here is little summary,

about 3 months ago I testes my boys droppings on some vet and she said there was a megabacteria and gave us nystatin but I asked for amhpo-B and I ordered that from another vet who is in another city. While we were using that my boys leg started to get some spasms like leg cramps but it was all occured sudden and temporary after cramps he flied like nothing happened. But in time these cramps getting more frequent and then there was a huge ataxia. he lose his consciousness about 4 5 minutes then back to normal. After that I took him to another vet. he told us there was a liver problem and phosphorus level is too much. he gave us cleansing tea (herbal based cat-dog medicine but dosage for birds) But I was not convinced so I send his xrays and blood test to another vet which is in another country. She told us my boys glicose levels is very low so sugested to us gave him homey water mix and some home made yougrt for his calsium level. ( which is little bit low too) So I gave him honey and yogurt one week later 'cramps' were gone. but this time his wings looked not ok. he refused to fly and he always tucked his right feet to his belly so his right side seemed not ok. I took him a vet again (3rd vet because others can not diognose him prpperly) she took xrays again and told us it seemed there was a mucle inflamation so for his pain I gave him melox like adviced by vet. But in the mean time there was not any progess and his wing getting worsened. one day I noticed there was a bump on his wing and his right leg is started to limping so I took him to another vet (4th one) he took xrays again and told us it seems lipomas on his wing and gave us metastop (which is used for tumor on cat-dogs) for one month and also he said his right leg problem is kind of arthirits or bone problem. ( in that time he was really bad limping not using his right feet.) the vet gave us some herbal based tablets again for cat-dogs for their painful joints. But when I started to gave him these herbal based medicines he started to sleep all day long and not getting better so I stop using them. in the mean time I testes his droping on some bio lab for works universities and they told me he has trichomoniasis parasites and gave us ornidazol but I can not gave him because whenever I tried to gave him any kind of medicine his leg cramps started again. So I stoped everything but 5 days ago while he was flying I couldnt see but he fall of between wall and couch (poor thing he is really has a bad luck) and this time I thing his left wing injured because it's looked dropped and he is tottaly can not fly right know both wings hurt him and his feets also hurts, he sleeps nearly all day long 2 days ago I noticed under his left feet there was a little scar with redness ( I thing it's injured cause he always use this leg ) I'm rubbing his feet with aloevera ( from plant leaves directly not commercial jels) and 2 times a day bepanthol repair cream.

I really dont know what to do I tried 5 different vets 1 bio labs for his droping test but all of them saying dfiferent things and nothing they gave us worked. his wings and feets hurts him so much I think all of them looks orthopedic problems because his weight does not change so far.
In the mean time I'm reading all vets page all forums everything I can find. look some herbal remedies works for budgies. Last night I gave him chamomile tea (5 6 drops his mouth ) and today he looks little bit ok but still sleeps all day and additonally today he obsesed with one of his wing feather ( try to pluck it) his weight still same 34 gr not very appetizing actually last 2 day he does not want to eat much and his dropping looks green. every time he goes to food bowl take 3 4 seeds then gaveup. by the way he looks like on the pic I added and after falling near the couch he holding his head up like he can not breath but I'm not sure it just guess..

I can not give him any kind of medicine because his 'cramps' still with us :( and I'm done with vets they really dont know and couldn not help us at all. and everytime they want to take xray or other test and each of them source of strees for him. and every medications is extra harmful for his liver and kidney.

Any way I know I told so much my real question is about echinacea. I read much about it and looks so healthy but how should I give him.. I can not found any %100 pure extract but the one I ordered contains pharmaceutical glucose and sodium benzoat and potasium sorbate which is purest product I can find . So I'm not sure to use it. if it's ok then I'll use it 7ml water and 3 ml extract mix and one drop and twice a day. is it ok ?

And other question is about his feet scar. I'm using bepanthol and aloe vera but I read about epsom salt.epsom salt is also good for artrihtis I think but my concern is while I apply epsom salt with warmish water if his feather covered with salty water and if he eats it while preen himself. as I know salt is not ok for birds. Or how can I apply salty water to his feet. He is tame but really hate being held so what is the easiest way.

Also I read about garlic As I know garlic is poisonis for birds but I read some articals about iit.what do you think about garlic?

By the way I really can not understandt why he obbsesed one of his wing feathers he nearly break it in the middle of it. he is still trying to break it :(

Thank you so much to read this and any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,325 Posts
So sorry to hear all the problems you have run into. Your bird looks quite uncomfortable, what do the bottom of the feet look like, he may be suffering from bumblefoot, are there sores on the bottom of his feet? The green droppings can be a sign of several things, is it the fecal portion of the dropping or the urate portion that is green, and what shade of green is it? I have never seen a lipoma on a wing, a lipoma is a fatty tumor and is not cancerous and they commonly appear on the chest and abdominal area and are usually just left alone. I think you are going to have to pick a vet and revisit him/her and explain all the things you have been through and talk about why there is such a difference in the diagnosis depending on who you have seen. Here is an article you may find interesting Trichomoniasis in Birds - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Cody,

His bottom of feet is like reddish and has a little bit white part like aphthae. it can be bumblefoot. He may need antibiotics but when I give him anything he getting worse. So I want to try herbal remedies. I read about echinacea it can be good effects on bacterial infections. But as I said before I'm not sure to use it cause it contains pharmaceutical glucose and sodium benzoat and potasium sorbate. is that ok to use it what do you think? and also I want to use epsom salt for his feets but another consern is what if salty water gets his feathers and he eats it when preening. salt is not ok for birds I think but again I'm not sure.

I don't want to go another vet or pick one of them. because all of them sure their diagnosis is certain but everytime I regret to go them. I think I'm done with vets. for example lipomas I dont think it is lipomas and he gave me to stop it with tumor medicine :( that is not right :(

my boy trough so much last couple of months his wings and his feets are hurting him and I can not do anything for him :( But I want to try herbal things, I still dont give up.

Thanks for the link I read it actually wagwalking is my favorite web page I learn so much from there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Little update:

I went another vet last week and vet got swap samples from his crop and took xray for his wings. According to her his wing broken and this broken part near wing joint. So she thinks that my boy never fly again even if broken part heals. :(
And she gave us hirudoid forte gel for his swollen wing musles and additional collagen for his joints.( I'm adding it to his water) But I'm not sure again because there is swollen parts under his wings and it does not looks broken to me. if it 's broken I'm not sure he can preen himself like he always used to....I added pics of swollen parts one of is under wing and this is huge one little bit yellowish and trough his wing. other one is on the wing and this one is little. can it be cyst? if it's what should I do?

additonally according to my boys crop tests rsults he is suffering from staph infection. (which is explained his foot scar) and she gave us doxycyline. ( one desert spoon water and 3 drops of medicine mix and I give him one drop of it twice a day ) normally they should have exact measure but this is 7th vet and I'm still not sure why all of them like that :(

This is 4 th day of antibiotics and I think his foots hurting him 'cramps' starts again and I'm sttil worried about my boy But he is still eating and his weight is still 34 grams.

I'm opening to any suggestion or idea...

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts