Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am seeing for 2 days that he does not use his left feet completely to perch, he just lands it on the perch without gripping with his toes. And relies on right feet to grip and preene. Now he seem to be leaning on his right side when sitting ideally.

I holded him to check the bottom of feet, What i observed is that his right feet has reddish spot (may be due to over using one feet?) and left feet does not have any visible injury.

i hv contacted vet, he is not responding currently, wondering if i should start some home remedy to help if he is in pain.

edit:
he is limping as well

Attachments

· Super Moderator
6,238 Posts
The are multiple reasons why he may not be using the left leg/foot, he may have injured it or there may be an internal issue that is pressing on the nerves to the leg causing the favoring of the leg. Because of the added pressure on the right foot due to the non use of the left, he may have the beginning of what is known as Bumblefoot or it may just be a temporary please see this link Bumblefoot in Birds - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost
Either way he needs to be seen by a vet that treats birds, if the vet can prescribe an anti inflammatory that may give him some relief, please do not medicate him with anything unless it is approved by the vet.
This link may help you find a vet if you do not get a response from the one you contacted

· Administrator
60,902 Posts
You can soak his feet in room temperature chamomile tea which may help to reduce the inflammation.

Hero needs to be seen by an Avian Veterinarian, right away, as Cody indicated.

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

India veterinarians

Animal Hospitals, Birds Hospitals, Veterinary Health Centers

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had started on 3 days anti inflammatory on vet recommendation (melonex). Currently unable to get the x-ray done. Have book slot for tomorrow for x-ray. Will post the result here.

In mean time I will dip his feet in room temperature camomile tea.

Also I was worried for right foot, so I had put soft towel at bottom & top of the cage and wrapped perches with clothes. But this guy doesn't stay at one place and keeps flying around the house, sitting at random places or when inside the cage he sticks on side of the cage.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hero is able to use both feet now (fully functional as before).
Unfortunately the x-ray was broken at clinic where vet uses anaesthesia, so I continued him with chamomile tea soak at home.

Now he is using left feet to preen and take all his weight on that feet while preening. I guess this is a good news.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts