Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Dean and really looking forward to reading through all post on here, I've already been able to establish that I have to females and not 1 male and 1 female, just by the great advise and pictures other have upload. I've had both Drucilla and Minimoo for 19months just before the whole Covid thing kicked off and i don't think I would of got through lock down without them, according to the breeder she let them go at 12 weeks so minimum age for them both is around 22months. The cage door is only closed at night or any other time i need to open the window. Drucilla she classed as show bird and Minimoo as a mini, now I'm thinking i possible have an British bird and an American, but any other thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Drucilla (blue and white coloured) had a light blue cere which a while back started to go a bit brown then reverted back to light blue and now is starting to go part brown again, after reading through the articles this indicates a female coming in and out of season (if that's the right terminology) however all ways up for advise if this is wrong, like everyone seems to say on here we all just want the best for our birds . Minimoo's (yellow/blue/white greenish colour) cere has always been brown and I've noticed lately Minimoo keeps trying to mate with Drucilla, is that common for budgies just like dogs that a female dog will try and mate another female if one comes into season I have caught them at it a few times and Drucilla is clearly spreading her tail feathers, they have a close bond with each other constantly grooming and chittering with each other. They both very dear to me. although I work and interact with them both daily and they are clearly interested in me as I catch them watching me all the time and will follow me around the flat and whistle for me when I leave the room, the best I can do is have them both sit on a stick that I am holding and then only if its near their cage, they have shown no interest on perching on me in the whole 19 months I have had them, this does make me a bit sad but if that all they want to give me I will take that. Is this a common thing to happen?, my previous Budgie Sarah Died at 9yrs old and was all over me within 3 days any thought or tips would be great. thanks for taking the time to read this, kind regards Dean
Bird Macaw Beak Parrot Feather Yellow Wood Art Fruit Feather
Bird Macaw Beak Parrot Feather

Yellow Wood Art Fruit Feather

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've only had my first budgie for a few days now so I don't have much advice to give ^^; but the picture where they're both hugging each other is adorable they're so precious ♡ your story with them helping you through lockdown really warmed my heart! I hope to have a bond with my girl Ponchi just like you do with yours ( ◜‿◝ )

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
You do have two female budgies. Both are lovely. Drucilla does not look like an English budgie from the pictures but she could well be a 50/50 which would account for her size.
Sometimes budgies of the same gender (female/female or male/male) will attempt to mate with their "friend".

Since Drucilla is in condition and Minimoo is trying to mate with her, I would suggest you take the necessary precautions so that there are no unwanted eggs.
One or both of the females could become broody.
Yes, females that have NOT been around a male budgie can still lay eggs, the eggs just won't be fertile.

Rearranging their cage frequently will help tremendously. Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage.
Limit the light they get to 8 hours a day. When they come into condition, limit the amount of protein in their diet at that time.

Budgies need to have a set time to get up on the morning and a set bedtime. When one is in condition, it's best to limit daylight to no more than 8 hours per day.
Otherwise, you can allow them to have 10-12 hours of daylight.

I would suggest hanging Minimoo's swing from the top of the cage instead of from the side so she is able to swing on it.
Essentials to a Great Cage

Some budgies like to interact with humans and others prefer the company of a same-species friend.
Since you got the two at the same time, they have bonded closely with one another rather than bonding to you.
You can still try working with them on taming/bonding if you wish to do so.

Since they will both sit on a perch for you near their cage, you might want to consider trying clicker training with them.
Positive Reinforcement in Training.
Basics of Clicker Training

There is more information regarding clicker training in the stickies in the "Taming and Bonding" section of the forum

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Avian Association of Veterinarians

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You do have two female budgies. Both are lovely. Drucilla does not look like an English budgie from the pictures but she could well be a 50/50 which would account for her size.
Sometimes budgies of the same gender (female/female or male/male) will attempt to mate with their "friend".

Since Drucilla is in condition and Minimoo is trying to mate with her, I would suggest you take the necessary precautions so that there are no unwanted eggs.
One or both of the females could become broody.
Yes, females that have NOT been around a male budgie can still lay eggs, the eggs just won't be fertile.

Rearranging their cage frequently will help tremendously. Please be sure you never put a nest box or anything that could be used as a nesting site in their cage.
Limit the light they get to 8 hours a day. When they come into condition, limit the amount of protein in their diet at that time.

Budgies need to have a set time to get up on the morning and a set bedtime. When one is in condition, it's best to limit daylight to no more than 8 hours per day.
Otherwise, you can allow them to have 10-12 hours of daylight.

I would suggest hanging Minimoo's swing from the top of the cage instead of from the side so she is able to swing on it.
Essentials to a Great Cage

Some budgies like to interact with humans and others prefer the company of a same-species friend.
Since you got the two at the same time, they have bonded closely with one another rather than bonding to you.
You can still try working with them on taming/bonding if you wish to do so.

Since they will both sit on a perch for you near their cage, you might want to consider trying clicker training with them.
Positive Reinforcement in Training.
Basics of Clicker Training

There is more information regarding clicker training in the stickies in the "Taming and Bonding" section of the forum

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Avian Association of Veterinarians

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
many thanks for your response Faerybee, its really helpful and reassuring to get some good advise, i've scanned so many sites and utube looking for advise, and found it all here on this site and yes i'll read through all those links, thanks again Dean

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hello Dean and welcome to the forums!

FaeryBee has given great advice and I agree with her totally. Your girls are very cute and we hope to see them around!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything! If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Please keep us posted!

Cheers! 👋

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Dean and welcome to the forums!

FaeryBee has given great advice and I agree with her totally. Your girls are very cute and we hope to see them around!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything! If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Please keep us posted!

Cheers! 👋
Thanks Starklingwings, its good to feel like i have support behind me when it comes to me girls, can you give me a bit more of an understanding on 'stickies' though - many thanks Dean

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
"Stickies" are the threads that set up/"stuck" at the very top of each section/subsection throughout the forums.
By being always at the top of the forum section those particular threads are very easy for members to find and review.
We call them "Stickies"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Stickies" are the threads that set up/"stuck" at the very top of each section/subsection throughout the forums.
By being always at the top of the forum section those particular threads are very easy for members to find and review.
We call them "Stickies"
We call them "Stickies"
thanks for taking the time to explain, I'll watch out for them, took this pic earlier, it just totally melts my heart when I catch them both sat there watching what I'm up to, I'm also trying the girls out with peppers which I would not of even imaged for one moment they would of liked. and moved the other perch so it swings, it for some reason now has a little squeak to it when it swings and sounds like like of the old hanging pub signs, lol
Bird Vertebrate Parrot Pet supply Mammal
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts