Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello people, I've just adopted a budgie 3 days ago and he's eating and drinking well. He's still scared of me but we're going to work on that.
I've researched budgies alot and thought I'd now enough about them (which I ofcourse don't) and am still getting used to having Lucky (my birb).
I've been so scared that I'm not providing enough for him, I just wanted to know about things I need to be careful of.
He's from the pet store and only eats seeds, I've tried to let him eat a bit of apple because I thought he'd like it but he didn't eat it. He doesn't eat millet, so I'm concerned if I'll be able to tame him properly. He started squeaking since the first day, he squeaks quiet a bit maybe too much and it sounds like screams, idk if thats a bad sign (plz tell me). he seems bored but doesn't play with the toys ( i think it's because he didn't have any back at the pet store and isn't used to them). He's climbing the cage and sleeps on his food dish.
I need help. Please help me.
Thank you

·
Administrator
57,889 Posts
Is the budgie pooping?
If so, then it is eating. If not, then it needs to be hand fed formula.

A budgie chick that is only 5-6 weeks old should NOT have been sold. Budgies that age generally are NOT fully weaned and often regress.
You need to find out from the pet store how old the bird is and from whom it came.

Hand Feeding and Weaning Guide

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is the budgie pooping?
If so, then it is eating. If not, then it needs to be hand fed formula.

A budgie chick that is only 5-6 weeks old should NOT have been sold. Budgies that age generally are NOT fully weaned and often regress.
You need to find out from the pet store how old the bird is and from whom it came.

Hand Feeding and Weaning Guide

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
Hi so basically she said that hes been put for adoption since 2 - 3 weeks, the budgie is eating and drinking well (and pooping), hes about 11 weeks old as I am told. ( I am aware that I sound like I know nothing, please ignore that)

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Hi so basically she said that hes been put for adoption since 2 - 3 weeks, the budgie is eating and drinking well (and pooping), hes about 11 weeks old as I am told.
He keeps getting older with each post, any pics?

“up for adoption” at 2-3 weeks meaning that people can reserve them? Or that she would actually hand them over?
Because handing over a 2 week old budgie is tantamount to animal abuse.

·
Administrator
57,889 Posts
You didn't answer the most important question. Is the budgie pooping?

Are you offering it the same food as it was getting at the pet store?
Is the person at the pet store the one who had the parents of this budgie and its siblings?

·
Super Moderator
18,906 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

FaeryBee has given great advice and I agree completely. Please keep us updated on the answers to her questions above. We are all rooting for Lucky!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, provided above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything! If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Best wishes!

Cheers! 👋

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.