Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Member of the Month Dec 2014
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, sorry to report nothing is being produced in the birdroom but tons of feathers!!! The English pairs I recently acquired must be on a synchronized molting schedule -- every morning it looks like someone just slaughtered a chicken up there!! LOL Other than that, they are all happy and healthy and eating me out of house and home!:p
Meanwhile, my Dwarf cichlids (freshwater tropical fish) are producing 'tons' of babies and I am therefore producing tons of small organisms for the newly hatched babies to devour. I have several cultures of microworms, vinegar eels and baby brine shrimp going at all times and am feeding three tanks of dwarf cichlid babies in various stages of development every 2 hours throughout the day.... a great 'warm up' for my "hopeful" baby budgies (someday :eek:)
JW brought me 3 baby Downy woodpeckers 3 wks ago and those were both a challenge and one of the biggest joys of my spring. I knew 'next to nothing' about woodpeckers and have learned quite a bit in the past few weeks. All 3 are now released and hopefully doing well. One little male came back for 2 days to beg a treat from me, which I was thrilled to provide him. I have since turned my back yard into a woodpecker (and ANT :eek:) sanctuary -- smearing my homemade "Bird butter" on all the trees, strategically placing suet feeders everywhere plus "woodpecker friendly" feeding stations, etc..
This afternoon I witnessed a father Downy woodpecker feeding his offspring from one of my suet feeders! So I'm comforted knowing Downy babies somewhere are benefiting and hope my babies are benefactors as well.
Love you all and miss you too. I love my springs and summers in the yard and surrounding woods enjoying nature, but look forward to chatting with you daily when fall and winter days beckon me indoors.
Take care all!!!! Enjoy you precious budgies!!!

·
Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
What a wonderful report. Glad to hear everything is going well...:)

·
Registered
12,566 Posts
Lovely to hear your babies are back out in the wild and surviving,
As winter approaches here I am starting to place food out for my local possum families that rely on the tree leaves and such so I add fruit and a tiny bit of bread for them.
Enjoy your time outdoors nothing beats the feel of the sun and it's warmth, I am with you on the feathers every morning I can't understand how they have any left :eek: Just now Budget pulled out a beautiful yellow wing plumage which I have placed in my special jar full of his feathers .

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,334 Posts
Lovely to hear your babies are back out in the wild and surviving,
As winter approaches here I am starting to place food out for my local possum families that rely on the tree leaves and such so I add fruit and a tiny bit of bread for them.
Enjoy your time outdoors nothing beats the feel of the sun and it's warmth, I am with you on the feathers every morning I can't understand how they have any left :eek: Just now Budget pulled out a beautiful yellow wing plumage which I have placed in my special jar full of his feathers .
I found out that styrofoam is very nice to put feathers into. You just get whatever shape you want and stick the feathers into it, as you get it full, you'll have a full plumage of feathers sticking out of it.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,334 Posts
It's great to hear from you Nedra and I'm happy all is going well.
Did you take any pictures of those precious Downy Woodpecker babies to share with us before you released them?
Here are a few I took...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.