Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice to meet everyone. I recently, July, got 4 budgies. I'm so happy to have found this site and wealth of information!

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. Would love to see picture of your birds, what are their names? Is this your first time having birds?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's my first time. My only prior bird experience has been either rescuing birds (in my yard growing up, here in NYC after window impacts, or in college in a bird rescue team in Florida) was taking care of 2 separate African greys (my 2 bosses birds) for a week at a time. These are my daughter's birds and named Snowy Owl, Captain Budgie (preening middle), Blueberry (preening right) and Loch Ness (inside cage). I need better pictures!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. I had hoped for 4 boys but Snowy Owl is a girl. I had also hoped for younger budgies but Captain Budgie is older. I moved quickly on the purchase then did research (had researched a couple of years ago). Not the best start but I'm learning as much as I can to make sure they're healthy and happy. Now, I'm getting a bit addicted, dreaming of a larger apartment my own aviary more and other birds haha. ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
Snowy Owl looks like a boy to me, the cere appears to be a solid pink color, can you post a frontal picture of Snowy Owl in natural light and we can confirm. In some color mutations the males cere will be pink and will stay pink for the birds entire life, it will not turn blue as in other mutations.

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Cody has given you excellent advice! I agree that Snowy Owl looks like a boy ;) More photos would be great!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies” to ensure you’re up to date on everything. If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Your flock is adorable, and hope to see you (and them!) around here :D

Cheers! 👋

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Snowy Owl looks like a boy to me, the cere appears to be a solid pink color, can you post a frontal picture of Snowy Owl in natural light and we can confirm. In some color mutations the males cere will be pink and will stay pink for the birds entire life, it will not turn blue as in other mutations.
I had no idea! Thanks I'll get a better pic

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Cody has given you excellent advice! I agree that Snowy Owl looks like a boy ;) More photos would be great!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies” to ensure you’re up to date on everything. If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Your flock is adorable, and hope to see you (and them!) around here :D

Cheers! 👋
Thanks! I always have a million questions so you'll definitely see me around.

Nice flock, I cannot see Blueberry's cere, is Blueberry a male?
Here's a better pic

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
My vote is that Snowy Owl is a boy, and that's great because now you do not have to be concerned about preventing breeding and there will not be fights among the boys for a female. Great picture of a scratch in action.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wonderful so happy to hear this! I've seen so many people say so many things about sex. I just kinda guessed. Also, thought Snowy might be a girl because she's queen, well now king, of the roost and a bit bossy. Thanks again

Here's a better pic
Sorry the scratching pic is Snowy. Here's a pic of Captain Budgie (left) and Blueberry (right). The solo pic is Loch Ness, I'm most concerned with his health. He's the most timid also seems to be the heaviest or I'm just interpreting his less elegant flying as due to his heavier set. There's only 1 avian vet, in NYC area, so trying to get them used to the travel bag so I can take them all at once instead of 4 separate trips.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
Loch Ness does not look to be too heavy, there may be other things effecting his flying ability, where did you get the birds?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, that's why I'm slightly concerned and want to get them to the avian vet. I didn't research prior to so it was a quick choice with my daughter, so our local pet store. I realize it's a no-no now and not the way things should be done. So, again want to get them checked out. I also don't have a bird weighing scale so want to get one and start weighing them. Loch Ness didn't look "big" to my very amateur eye but I didn't understand why he seemed to struggle with flight more than the others. He can fly but doesn't seem to be able to maintain his flight as well, eventually flies lower. My previous long term pets were discus fish and I could talk a lot about them but am just learning about budgies.

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
All the birds are adults and I can see the iris in the eyes which is an indication that the birds are at least 9 months old, usually birds in pet stores are younger than that. If these birds have been caged in the store for a long time they have not had the chance to really fly much and it could be that Loch Ness has underdeveloped flight muscles. An adult bird I got years ago from a shelter never seemed to fly as well as my other birds, it seemed almost as if he never learned although you would think it would come naturally but his wings did not flap as fast as the others. Here is a link you can use to find avian vets, just fill in city and state, I tried it for NY with a 25 mile radius and quite a few came up. https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much for your help. I'll check again, I did a search earlier and contacted one who was listed on some budgie friendly site but they don't in fact treat birds. I don't have a car so will just need to be able to get there via public transportation. So, I think I've been viewing them incorrectly. I used to think Loch Ness and Snowy were younger. So, if you look at these 2 close ups I can clearly see Capt Budgie's (yellow head) iris (that's the white ring right?) so then is Loch Ness's (white w/stripes0 just more grey? Also, I don't see it on Snowy's (more white) am I wrong? Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
You are correct, however, because of Snowy's mutation the iris ring may never be visible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are correct, however, because of Snowy's mutation the iris ring may never be visible.
So, interesting. Have you read books on this or just acquired the knowledge over years? My daughter would like to read up and learn as well. Thanks!

Also, any tips on getting them into a travel carrier for a vet visit? I'd like to go sooner than later but don't relish the idea of having to place them in it. Hoping to get them warmed up to it via treats then close it when they're in it. I'll also look around the site for suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
3,850 Posts
I have gained knowledge over the years from reading, taking various courses and asking tons of questions from my avian vet, and caring for my own birds over the years. My vet knows that I like to dig deep into subjects and therefore will share in depth info with me. Are you planning on putting all of them in the same carrier, if so how large is it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, i'm not sure, I've debated and debated. I bought one carrier & returned it then got another (zip front version). My concern is something I'm able to carry (thinking about 2 subways and stairs but think in the end I'll cab it). Anyways, now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have just gotten something more solid like other pic. Suggestions? Subway would be between 30m - 1 hour. Cab would be about 20 m. I could do 2 birds one time and then 2 another, just hoping to do them all at once to not stress them as much.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts