Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate all the great info you have on your site! I am still in the process of reading all your info, but I would also appreciate your opinions on my parakeet's beak, since I'm worried about it, and I am not finding any info that seems to reflect what's going on with his.
I'm also having trouble finding an obvious avian vet, ie your link shows me a couple about an hour from here, but their links don't say anything about specializing in birds, so I'm not convinced. How do you know a vet really knows their stuff about little birds? Do they have a certain certification I can look for?
Anyway, here is Pip (short for Pippin). Can you see the dark line in his beak? It's perfectly symmetrical on both sides, and follows the edges of his upper beak, so I assumed it was normal, until I looked back and realized it hasn't always been there. He is happy and friendly and doesn't SEEM to be unwell, but I'm concerned about why his beak has that dark line in it. Any thoughts and suggestions are welcomed
Bird Head Hand Eye Leg
and appreciated! Thanks!! Carolyn & Pip

(And just for the fun of it, here he is as a baby, looking like a baby rainbow dinosaur:)

Hand Finger Cockatiel Nail Tail

·
Super Moderator
4,811 Posts
Your pictures of Pip are very cute, how old is he now? Did you look at the Association of Avian Veterinarians site to locate a vet, any vet on the site would be someone trained to treat birds, however a vet does not have to be a member of the Association to have experience with birds. https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803 You can sometimes find an exotic vet clinic that treats birds. When you choose a vet and call for an appointment you can ask what percentage of their practice is birds and the higher the percentage the more experience they will have. Pip's beak looks a tiny bit long, does he use a cuttle bone or mineral block?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm not concerned about the line in his beak. It's the edge of a layer. Perfectly natural. Layers of beak shed off from time to time, much the way feathers moult.

As for beak length, as @Cody suggests, cuttlebone and mineral blocks help, as do natural perches. One of many reasons to avoid plastic and smooth dowel perches. If you don't already have some, get him perches he can gnaw at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your pictures of Pip are very cute, how old is he now? Did you look at the Association of Avian Veterinarians site to locate a vet, any vet on the site would be someone trained to treat birds, however a vet does not have to be a member of the Association to have experience with birds. https://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803 You can sometimes find an exotic vet clinic that treats birds. When you choose a vet and call for an appointment you can ask what percentage of their practice is birds and the higher the percentage the more experience they will have. Pip's beak looks a tiny bit long, does he use a cuttle bone or mineral block?
Hi Cody! Thanks for your quick reply! Pip is almost 5 now. Yes, I did follow your links to search for Avian Vets. Only one mentioned birds on his website, but did say he trims beaks. Thanks for the idea about asking about how much practice he has with birds! Yes, Pip does have a cuttle bone and mineral block, but I need to get some of the perches mentioned in your good cage article. When I first got him I went out and found branches in my yard, but then worried that I would bring in mites or something else unwanted. Thanks to your articles, I now know which branches to look for, and which ones to avoid, AND how to clean them once I bring them in. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not concerned about the line in his beak. It's the edge of a layer. Perfectly natural. Layers of beak shed off from time to time, much the way feathers moult.

As for beak length, as @Cody suggests, cuttlebone and mineral blocks help, as do natural perches. One of many reasons to avoid plastic and smooth dowel perches. If you don't already have some, get him perches he can gnaw at.
Thanks for the reassurance, wmcburke! He is not a big chewer. I have given him all kinds of chew toys and he has no interest in them, but he does like to gnaw on plastic rings, for some reason. I'm hoping if I replace the wooden dowels with natural wood he will have more luck wearing off those old layers of beak. Thank you again for the reassurance and good advice!

·
Administrator
57,894 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

Pippin is adorable and Cody and wmcburke have given you excellent advice regarding his beak.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,907 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

I totally agree with the above, and he is so cute :D

You've also been given great resources by FaeryBee. Please be sure to read through everything to ensure you're up to date on the best of budgie care practices! If you have any questions after doing so, feel free to ask as we'd love to help.

Hope to see you and Pippin around the forums!

Cheers 👋

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

Pippin is adorable and Cody and wmcburke have given you excellent advice regarding his beak.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory
Thanks, FaeryBee! Manu clay is new to me, and I’ve wondered about grit, so I appreciate your links to all your well-researched information!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts