Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a different bird shop yesterday because it is closer to my work. The only egg food they had is the Higgins protein red egg food and at the bottom it sais for red-factor canaries. The person at the shop said it would be ok for budgies but I thought I would ask here first. from reading the back it sais they add beta carotene to assist in the red canary color maintenance which I read is also in the kaytee molting and conditioning egg food I had been using.

has anyone used this before?

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
I have had canaries as pets in the past and would give the supplement for the red factored canaries I had at the time.
Their mates weren't red factored and they would also eat the supplement food without having any problems.

I can't say I have ever given my budgies this very supplement I offered to my canaries to maintain the colour on their plumage.
The dry egg food I gave them (and continue to to give) has always been yellow in colour. If I were in the same situation as you currently are, I would opt for the more appropriate type of dry egg food which doesn't have the red colour added onto it.
If you do end by getting this red egg food and your birds take a liking to it, you may notice their droppings getting a red colour. I only mention this so that you don't get alarmed if you were to experience this.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi

I would definitely go over the ingredients list too if I were you just to double check but I am GUESSING it's probably not much different than the regular type minus the red factor additives.

I happened to make a mistake (while in a hurry) and accidently got the RED Quicko Egg food with canthaxanthin a while back.

I decided to let them have a little after checking to make sure it was basically the same but had the added canthaxanthin.

The budgies still seem to like it just a well as the other kind, only thing is that it did turn their droppings a reddish color that, like Azul warned, might be a bit alarming at first sight.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi

I would definitely go over the ingredients list too if I were you just to double check but I am GUESSING it's probably not much different than the regular type minus the red factor additives.

I happened to make a mistake (while in a hurry) and accidently got the RED Quicko Egg food with canthaxanthin a while back.

I decided to let them have a little after checking to make sure it was basically the same but had the added canthaxanthin.

The budgies still seem to like it just a well as the other kind, only thing is that it did turn their droppings a reddish color that, like Azul warned, might be a bit alarming at first sight.
I compared them, this one actually seems to have much more vitamins. it does not list the canthaxanthin, and specifically sais they add beta carotene to maintain red factor canarys unique color which as I said was already in the other one. I can always just go buy more of the kaytee. .I don't want to risk anything. I did get zircon to eat birdy bread which had egg and crushed egg shell in in.. if only kiwi would eat new things!! I would make them hard boiled eggs.. but kiwi wont touch it lol

·
Member Spotlight Award July 2016
272 Posts
In my opinion, I would not use Red Factor Egg food specifically for canaries and finches. I can't say yes or no that it is safe to eat, but after asking another Parrot Shop owner on something similar that I was inquiring about, she flat out told me that Red Factor is not meant for budgies. She didn't give me a specific reason just that budgies do not require nor need red factor ingredients.

It's your call sooooooo :behindsofa:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.