Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
589 Posts
Budgie toys can be expensive, so I have compiled some ideas for homemade toys which can be just as entertainng.

What not to use:
• No toxic paint or dyes.
• No metals with zinc or lead.
• No little bells with tiny holes (jingle bells). Parakeets can get their feet, beaks and tongues stuck in them.
• No beads or parts small enough to choke on.
• Avoid wood that has been treated.
• Avoid using glues.
Things You'll Need:
• toilet tissue rolls
• dry pasta
• hemp cord
• wood beads
• other materials

Tissue roll perch
Plain toilet tissue roll is very versatile.
Turn toilet tissue rolls into chew toys:
Hang the roll over a perch for a rolling toy.
Cut up one side of the roll and wrap it around the cage bars or door casing.
Poke holes in the roll and insert hemp cord with wood beads tied on for a fun chew toy.

Dyed macaroni
Macaroni toys:
Take any dry macaroni that has a hole, rub food-safe coloring onto each piece with a cotton swab, and string them together on hemp and hang them in the cage or from a hook in the ceiling. Creates hours of climbing and chewing fun. Be sure to throw the toy away if it gets dirty or gets bird waste on it.
Wooden toy
Various wooden beads
Take a metal hoop (found in craft stores), wrap it in hemp cord, tie securely. Use hemp to tie on wood beads of different sizes. (Use unfinished wood beads, dye them with a cotton swab and food-safe dye for color) Hang bells or more beads from various points, and hang the new swing toy from the cage roof or a hook in the ceiling. Makes a great toy for chewing, climbing and swinging.
Spider cardboard toy
Take some cardboard and cut them into squares, putting a hole in the middle of every one.
Take some straws and cut them into different sizes.
Take some toilet paper, making sure it is unscented, and cut them into shapes (I made circles), putting a hole in the middle of each.
If you want the toy to be like a spider, this is very easy to do. Take shoelace (unused) or cotton rope and fold it in half. Take another strip and do the same; you now have four "spider legs." If you wish, you can add more "spider legs" but I stopped at four.
Now string the cardboard, straws, and toilet paper together. You can make a pattern or just string them at random. Tie the ends of the shoelace/cotton rope and you're finished.
Ladder toy
Use cotton rope, vegetable tanned leather, or twine. String it with plastic beads and popsicle sticks in an upside-down "U" shape. You can put a bell at the top to make the toy more fun but make sure the bell doesn't contain zinc or is a jingle bell.

Simple playgym

One or Two shoeboxes, depending on if you have a few toys, or a lot of toys for your bird. One or two old toilet paper rolls. (Or, if you don't want to glue the toilet rolls together, use one paper towel roll). Treats, toys, and anything else your bird favors.
Cut a hole in one of the shoe boxes, just wide enough for one of the paper rolls to fit in. Glue the toilet paper rolls together to make a tunnel. Put one end of the roll in the shoebox with the hole. Now you should have a shoe box with a tunnel sticking out of it. Cut a hole in the other shoebox and connect the tunnel to the shoe box. You should have two shoe boxes connected by your tunnel. Put your favorite bird toys, treats, seeds, etc in the two shoeboxes. Try to have variations in the two boxes, so it will be like going to two diffrent playgrounds for your bird to have fun. You can make it as long as you like by adding more toilet paper rolls and more shoeboxes.
Have fun and create your own toys. You can design things as simple as a few beads strung to a bit of rope, or as elaborate as an entire play stand complete with bells and strings.
If you have any ideas please post them!

·
Registered
410 Posts
You may want to change the way you make your PlayGym since it contains GLUE and glue can be toxic to birds. :eek:

Donna

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the awesome ideas. I'm going to try them out. What do you think about the foraging toys sold in toy stores?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the awesome ideas. I'm going to try them out. What do you think about the foraging toys sold in toy stores?
I've seen those around. I've never bought one before, I must admit to start with I thought they were for rabbits and hamsters. I might give them a try, and see how my budgie likes them.

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
This is very helpful, and I know I have gotten some good ideas for bird toys from this.

I will be making this a sticky:)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Brandon.
I'd love to add some more ideas, so if anyones got any in mind please post!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is glue ever safe? I've seen mixed responses on various forums and websites so far. Many say that PVA is ok, some say that Hot Glue is ok if there is none available for chewing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This thread is fantastic. Thanks for the cool ideas.

One 'toy' that has worked for my budgie this weekend - I picked a handful of long grass (untreated - we don't use chemicals in our garden) and tied it in a bunch from the top of Pretty Boy's cage.

It was wet from the rain, so was still covered in raindrops. Pretty boy ate it, shredded it, talked to it, screeched at it, tried to climb it, ran through it singing, and chewed on it literally all day long. His beak is stained green lol

The grass is so long that he can access it from one of his perches, or he can go to the bottom of his cage to nibble the soft ends of it.

I can't believe that something that we would normally mow and toss away has made my Pretty boy so happy this weekend.

Just thought I'd share - sorry if this has been covered before! I'm still making my way around the forums :eek:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rubber hair rollers with small protrusions (that hold the hair) can be slipped on a perch. Kiki loves to scratch and roll on it like log rolling! Be sure it is a small roller.

·
Registered
305 Posts
great ideas :D i going to try the toilet paper one out first :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an idea, its a toy I made for my cockatiel but I'm sure budgies would love it;

A Cheerio ring! Take a string or shoelace or something, and string a bunch of cheerios on it. Tied the ends so they don't fall off. Then tie the two ends together to make it a ring. Use the remaining string to tie it to a perch or something, and cut off the remaining string. When its destroyed, just simply snip the knot and and its done! :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Justin, my guys love this! lol They think it's the best thing going. lol

·
Registered
451 Posts
Im not a budgie owner but from what i have read on the net budgies love bells and things they can chew/eat
so what i was thinking was a bell with some sorta string that you could attach to the roof of the bird cage (or where ever you feel like it) and on the length of string from the bell to the roof you could put something like cheerios/popcorn (if healthy for them unsure) or what ever your budgie may like to eat.
just a thought

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.