Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all know Homer loves Paddy and vice versa. Well he is beginning to LOVE him a little too much if you know what I mean, or at least I wonder if that's what is happening?

When they're on top of the cage Homer now tries to get right on top of Paddy! Paddy won't have it but never bites him which amazes me as he clearly does not want a budgie on his little self. He just squawks and gets out (as he's bigger of course). He hops away and then all is well and normal play resumes. I'm glad he can stand up for himself or else it could ruin the whole out of cage with the budgie boys deal.

Is Homer doing what I think he's trying to do? He has NEVER tried this with his bonded buddie Buzz, only does it with poor little Paddy!! Why would this be the case?

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,823 Posts
There is no mistaking, it really is what you're thinking...:eek:
My boy Luigi is also very eager and I actually intervene when he starts to be overly passionate towards Khaleesi.
Just like with Paddy, Khaleesi doesn't even open his beak in disapproval nor threatens Luigi, but still I don't let Luigi put a foot on my lovie's back.
To me that's crossing boundaries and even the sweetest of birds can one day snap and that's one thing I do not wish to see.
I'm perfectly fine with kisses on cheek/beak and food exchange, mating attempts when one of the birds is clearly uncomfortable are a no-no.

·
Administrator
60,609 Posts
It does sound as though Homer has become too passionate in his attempts with Paddy.

I agree with Ana -- you are going to want to be very careful to supervise them carefully.

Paddy has been great with Homer so far but you don't want to take a chance that one day Homer will push too far and Paddy will accidentally injure him badly in his attempt to say "No!".

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ana and Deb. Wouldn't you know it? It's not Paddy that's a problem with out of cage time, ends up being a budgie!!!

I'm glad to know that I need to get Homerto scoot if he tries it. I have thought "Wow, if that was me I wouldn't be so patient" and I guess like you said one day he may not be and then HE'LL be the bad guy when he fights back and does more harm coz he's bigger.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like my sister aptly named HOMER - trouble! ;)

·
Administrator
60,609 Posts
Madonna,

I'm not surprised that Homer is "the problem" rather than Paddy.

When I have Peachy downstairs it is always Skipper and Scooter that get too close and "bother" him.

Peachy would happily ignore them if they'd just stay away from him but they both fly at him, try to land right next to him, etc.

Peachy doesn't like that one little bit!

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Madonna,

I'm not surprised that Homer is "the problem" rather than Paddy.

When I have Peachy downstairs it is always Skipper and Scooter that get too close and "bother" him.

Peachy would happily ignore them if they'd just stay away from him but they both fly at him, try to land right next to him, etc.

Peachy doesn't like that one little bit!
Ha ha, that's right. I remember you saying that. Also Ana has the similar thing happening with Luigi and Khaleesi.

Can't blame a budgie for being so fascinated with our lovies :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.