Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to these forums. I came here because my girlfriend recently started going on here as well for advice, her username is Fletchling. We have an adorable little baby budgie boy HoneyDew, and Fletchling and I noticed something odd this morning.

We woke up and we took off the coverings from Dewie's cage and we noticed that he had poop stuck on his budgie bottom :(. Is this any cause for concern? I'd be really upset if there was something wrong with our poor baby budgie boy :(. He doesn't seem all too sick if anything because as we speak he is singing and chirping along. He is also eating, and he finally has started drinking water. He also has been running marathons around his cage, so I'm hoping that this is just the case of the dingleberries.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Welcome Bryan, good to have you join in. Noelle has introduced us to HoneyDew, congrat's to you on a handsome little budgie becoming part of your life. Pasty dropping's or dingleberries as you called them...:D Can be a sign of lack of hydration. To ensure your Dew boy isn't dehydrating a bit, you can soak some millet in an electrolyte solution like pedialyte for babies and feed it to him. Have you guys got him on a regular ACV regimen to help with good gut function ? What does his diet consist of ?

Edit to add: Here is the sticky that Tulip mentioned...http://www.talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=59240

·
Registered
377 Posts
I agree with the dehydration thing. Other than that, as long as he is acting normally (chirping, moving around, eating, drinking, etc) then I wouldn't worry too much. I know there's a sticky on how to hold a budgie, and I believe there might also be one on how to clean their bum.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Hi there Bryan, it's great to have you with us!

HoneyDew is a precious little boy ;)

Since he's eating and drinking and playing fine, I wouldn't be too worried. Sometimes, as mentioned, he could be dehydrated, or he could just have a runnier poop which clings on to the vent feathers. If he preens it out later, there's no cause for concern!
If it happens again, monitor his diet and I would take him to the vet. :)

Thank you for joining the forums, we hope to see both you and Noelle around here :welcome:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey guys, I wanted to update you! I think it might have been a little accident that stuck to his feathers. He must have gotten it out before I got home today, since he was all clean down there.

Prior to yesterday we hadn't seen him actually drink, but Bryan said he was at his bowl yesterday so I think he's still in the process of learning his new home. We'll definitely keep an eye on him. We're glad we have you guys to help, I would have never thought about dehydration.

Also, I just realized Bryan tagged this as "poop problem" lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another update...after our short interaction today I noticed Dewey was sleepy and a little fluffed up. I read the informative sticky about pasting of the vent and noticed inactivity, sleeping and fluffing could be a sign of illness :( I quickly texted Bryan asking if budgie had been active today, and he said he wasn't. I'm starting to get a little freaked out now.. I also read he could be cold (we keep the apartment ~69 degrees F, and a fan on) so I immediately raised the temp and turned off my fan, and covered his cage on the sides (the back is against the wall). I have heard him squeak or trill every once in a while, but he has stayed in the same spot.

Then I found this post: http://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-health/35938-molting-faqs.html
I have noticed some pin feathers on Dewey's head, and since he's still young I've been expecting his 4 month molt to lose the bars on his head. I'd take a picture, but he's currently sleeping. I've also started to see a few small, white feathers around the cage. The post says that often birds will be less active and sleep more when they're molting, because it is using up energy. I certainly hope this is the case.

I've also found FaeryBee's pedialyte recipe: http://talkbudgies.com/your-budgies-health/295617-guardian-angel-pedialyte-pedialyte-recipe.html

If I were to give him this (I have all the ingredients) and you guys recommend it, how do I present it to him? Do I put the soaked millet in his food bowl? Somewhere else?

·
Registered
37,563 Posts
Hello Honeydew's flock , I think you are suffering from Budgieitis it is a common ailment we here tend to get :eek: When we first bring our small pocket rocket's home we are stressed and worry about any little thing I know because I had a bad case of it.
I am pretty sure your sweet Dewey is perhaps experiencing his first moult and it can make budgies sleepy, cranky, lose feathers, and have an occasional different poop.
Of course you know your budgie better than anyone else and I always say if in doubt an avian vet visit will put your mind at rest.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cathy, I believe you're right! He has some more feathers coming out of him today :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.