Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My budgie who I have had for 18 months has lost his mind! His hormones are raging and I cannot divert him. From the moment I wake him up till I cover him at night ( 10hrs. ), He is screaming, scolding, flying, sometimes at me. It started with my hands...went to my toes and now literally I have to wear gloves and shoes when I'm with him. I adore him!!! But I let him be a free spirit and did not target train him even to step up. He always interacted with me as we played games and I just hung out. I'm 79 and for the longest, he was my ideal companion but now my life is disrupted. He is so loud and so aggressive. This is going on now for over a month...at this level. I'm hoping I can get some input from the community and I thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not an experienced budgie owner, but have you considered bringing your budgie to a vet?

There's an article about hormonal male budgies on this forum (Hormonal male budgie?.)

"To help with the continual urge to "mate", ensure your budgie has access to lots of flight/climbing exercise.
Provide two or three swings to encourage him to keep moving and tire himself out.
Chew toys like Kabobs and other shredding toys are helpful and you should provide plenty of wood to chew--especially when he is in condition.
Reduce the number of hours of light he gets as well as the percent of protein and other foods used to bring birds into condition.
Limiting his daylight hours to no more than 8 hours per day should help bring him out of condition.

If the urges don’t dissipate, take the budgie to an Avian Vet for a check-up.
Sometimes, the vet will suggest a special diet or hormone injection to balance the natural hormones.
A busy bird is a happy bird, especially if you are part of the fun. "

You should also train him to step-up sometime.😆
Good luck, ma'am!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not an experienced budgie owner, but have you considered bringing your budgie to a vet?

There's an article about hormonal male budgies on this forum (Hormonal male budgie?.)

"To help with the continual urge to "mate", ensure your budgie has access to lots of flight/climbing exercise.
Provide two or three swings to encourage him to keep moving and tire himself out.
Chew toys like Kabobs and other shredding toys are helpful and you should provide plenty of wood to chew--especially when he is in condition.
Reduce the number of hours of light he gets as well as the percent of protein and other foods used to bring birds into condition.
Limiting his daylight hours to no more than 8 hours per day should help bring him out of condition.

Sometimes, the vet will suggest a special diet or hormone injection to balance the natural hormones.
A busy bird is a happy bird, especially if you are part of the fun. "

You should also train him to step-up sometime.😆
Good luck, ma'am!
Thanks for your esponse. I've done all the above with the exception of the vet. When I got my little friend I had never expected to have to seek veternary advice...I live in an area of southeastern Colorado where Avian vets do not exist and would have to drive to Denver or Springs. I don't drive nor can I afford the cost. So we will wait and see!

·
Administrator
59,697 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being
Locating an Avian Veterinarian

To help with the continual urge to "mate", ensure your budgie has access to lots of flight/climbing exercise.
Reduce the number of hours of light he gets to no more than 8 hours per day. Additionally, reduce the amount of protein in his diet.

A busy bird is a happy bird, especially if you are part of the fun.
Have you considered working with him doing clicker training?

Positive Reinforcement in Training.
Basics of Clicker Training

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
19,684 Posts
Hello and welcome to the "posting" side of the forums,

Anytime we choose to bring an animal into our homes we should expect to seek veterinary advice; even if our animals do not get sick it is important to at least establish veterinary contacts in case the need arise.

In this situation you have been given great advice above by FaeryBee and I agree totally. While there are a few things you can try to get his hormones out of control, if you don't notice a change then it may be a more serious hormonal imbalance that requires veterinary input.

Please be sure to read through the forums' many links and articles provided above as well to ensure you're up to date on everything! If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

Hope to hear updates on your boy soon!! :)

·
Administrator
59,697 Posts
Any pet, no matter the cost or whether it was "free", is a living breathing creature.

Budgies are NOT "disposable" pets simply because they are inexpensive.
When a person" adopts" a pet, that individual assumes the responsibility of caring for that animal.
The pet is totally dependent on the owner for everything, including receiving the medical care and attention it deserves if it becomes ill or injured.

Those who believe that the expense of having a pet ends should be only the cost of the pet plus food, housing and toys are leaving out the most important part of the equation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts