Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I got a gift of three budgies from my uncle. I named them Hulk, Lemon, and Fern. When I got them, they were in a small black cage, so I asked to switch them to a bigger one. I put lentils, half a plum, and tomato slices in a bowl for them, and filled cups around their cage with water.
One day, I took them outside in their cage to get fresh air, but, attracted by other bird noises, Hulk squeezed through the door and flew away.
Devastated, I paid more attention to Lemon and Fern.
Here are a LOT of questions I have:
1. I'm attaching pictures of them below. Lemon is more yellow, and Fern is greener. Can someone tell me who's a girl/boy?
2. Using hand training, I put my hand on the cage for a few days, and then I put it inside. Fern now perches on my hand for a few seconds, but she's still averse to me reaching for her head to pet her. Lemon does not want to land on my hand, she hops on it for a few seconds, but that's all. What do I do? Also, what's the next step for Fern? I don't use food to train, because they don't accept food from my hand, even foods I've seen them eating and I think they like.
3. CUrrently, their food consists of raw orange and yellow lentils, cucumbers, apricots, and tomatoes. Is that ok?
4. THey have sheets of cardboard laid out on the floor, and they just poop there. Is it fine if they walk around in that area? How can I potty train them?
5. I'm attaching a picture of their cage below, too. Is it big enough?
6. Tey haven't bathed since I got them. They preen themselves a lot (in front of me, too. Does that mean they trust me?), but the only time I put a dish of shallow water in their cage, they stepped on it, it tipped over a bit and spilled, and they didn't go near it again, so I took it out.
7. Lemon has still escaped from the cage twice in the past 2 days. What does that mean? Fern just looks at her and tweets, and she tweets back. I have to drape a mesh-like cloth over Lemon, hold her, and put her back in the cage. While holding her, she bit me once, but I understand why.
8. I really want to let them out of the cage, particularly Fern, but every time I move Fern out of the door while she's on my finger, she hops off and goes to the other side of the cage. My family warns me not to let them out even in a closed space like a bathroom, because I wouldn't be able to put them back, and I sort of agree. With Lemon escaping, she'll probably never willingly go back in. However, I want to bond with them other than sticking my hand in the cage. What do I do?
9. I currently keep their cage on a high table next to a large window, and when the sun sets, I close the curtains and dim the lights, and they go to sleep.
Here are a series of pictures:
Bird Beak Pet supply Parrot Bird supply
Bird Vertebrate Beak Parrot Pet supply

Bird Beak Parrot Feather Pet supply

Bird Beak Pet supply Parrot Feather

Bird Beak Pet supply Parrot Bird supply

Attachments

· Super Moderator
6,238 Posts
It appears that Lemon is a female and Fern is a male, a full frontal picture of Fern would be best for confirmation of the gender. The cage is not adequate and is too dirty, the birds could also chew through the wood parts and escape. What is under the cardboard you have at the bottom, it is not good for them to be walking around in all those droppings, you cannot potty train a bird like you can a cat or dog. If you have the cardboard there to cover a grate at the bottom, cover the cardboard with paper towels so you can change them at least daily to keep it clean. I do not see any water provided for them, you should have food and water at all times for them mounted in a proper container to the cage bars at perch height, leaving food and water on the floor is not a good idea as they get soiled with droppings and become a breeding ground for bacteria. Please take a look at this link for cage info Essentials to a Great Cage
The diet you are feeding is not adequate please read through these links Quality Seed Mix , Safe Foods for Budgies
It can take months to train budgies to learn that you are not a threat to them, so that will take a lot of patience on your part.
What online shopping is available where you are, is Amazon online available to you, you may be able to find many products for the birds that way.

· Administrator
60,902 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

Domestic budgies are much healthier and happier when they are never bred.
As you have a mixed gender pair, it is VERY important you do everything necessary to prevent breeding.

A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Cody has given you excellent advice.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Budgies need a minimum of two weeks to settle into their new home and you should not be trying to touch or tame them at this time. They are often submissive initially because they are terrified.
You can cover the top and three sides of the cage to help them feel more secure. Play music or the TV for them when you are not around during the day.

Taming and Bonding is all about helping your budgies learn to trust you and it takes a great deal of time and patience on your part.
You should never grab your budgies or force them to be touched.
To bond with your budgies, you need to build their trust in you.
They will have to learn over time that you will not hurt them, grab them and try to force them to allow you to hold them.

To build your birds’ trust, sit by their cage and read, talk or sing quietly to them for a period of at least 10-15 minutes, 3 or 4 times day. After about a week, rest your hand on the outside of the cage when you talk to them so they will learn that your hand is safe and will not hurt them.

After a week of resting your hand on the outside of the cage, rest your hand inside the cage when you talk.
Don’t make sudden moves, don’t try to touch them.
Let their get used to the idea that the hand is now in their safe place and not harming them.

After 2 weeks, begin moving your hand slowly toward your bird. If they become agitated, stop moving your hand and just hold very still until they calm down. When they are comfortable with your hand near them, you can offer them a bit of millet or a few seeds.

Always work at your birds’ pace.
Move slowly and talk reassuringly and calmly to their whenever you interact with them.

Bonding means allowing your budgie to choose to be with you.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Additionally, please be sure to read the thread "Posting on the Forums" which is linked below.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

· Super Moderator
20,293 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

You have been given great advice above.

You've also come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to read through everything provided above! If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

Best wishes! 👋

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.