Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought I shower thing for my birds and they don’t use it, I change the water whenever they get it dirty, instead of showing in it they drink the water and put some food in it.
I tried putting their favorite treat in it put it didn’t work.
how could I let them take a shower in it?

·
Super Moderator
About that…
1,330 Posts
Some budgies just don't like water :)
So, it's important to always offer it, but never force it.

For those that do like water, it can just be a matter of persistence. It took months with one of my Linnies (a well known species for water-loving) to get him to like it. It was just a matter of finding out "how" he liked to bathe.

You can try:
  • A very shallow plate of water with some of his/her favorite greens in it
  • Letting him/her play (supervised) by a clean sink that has a dribble of water running (and a safe drain that s/he can't get his/her feet stuck in)
  • A mister. This is what worked for my boys, it creates a gentle mist of water as opposed to a spray and I would let it fall on them as I misted above their heads.

Sometimes sounds will work too to get your bird in the mood for bathing. Vacuum cleaners apparently are quite common for this, or even recordings of thunderstorms/rain if you have the means.

But it may honestly just take time. You can try several of the above (and others that I'm sure that I've missed) repeatedly until your bird warms to it.
Bathing responses are typically "I will allow you to do this to me" by sitting there, or slight floofing/ruffling of feathers.

If your bird bolts, then s/he doesn't like it and you should stop. Try again later. But if s/he seems to "tollerate" it? Keep trying that to see if they warm to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some budgies just don't like water :)
So, it's important to always offer it, but never force it.

For those that do like water, it can just be a matter of persistence. It took months with one of my Linnies (a well known species for water-loving) to get him to like it. It was just a matter of finding out "how" he liked to bathe.

You can try:
  • A very shallow plate of water with some of his/her favorite greens in it
  • Letting him/her play (supervised) by a clean sink that has a dribble of water running (and a safe drain that s/he can't get his/her feet stuck in)
  • A mister. This is what worked for my boys, it creates a gentle mist of water as opposed to a spray and I would let it fall on them as I misted above their heads.

Sometimes sounds will work too to get your bird in the mood for bathing. Vacuum cleaners apparently are quite common for this, or even recordings of thunderstorms/rain if you have the means.

But it may honestly just take time. You can try several of the above (and others that I'm sure that I've missed) repeatedly until your bird warms to it.
Bathing responses are typically "I will allow you to do this to me" by sitting there, or slight floofing/ruffling of feathers.

If your bird bolts, then s/he doesn't like it and you should stop. Try again later. But if s/he seems to "tollerate" it? Keep trying that to see if they warm to it.
Thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.