Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading a post from someone asking what babies they could possibly get when they breed their albino male and violet spangel (might be some other combination) and someone replied that all males will be blah, blah, blah
and the females will be blah, blah, blah.

How can you predict that the males will be one thing and the females will be another.

I know genetics is a long drawn out scientific equation and is much too much complicated for me to understand it all so if anyone can give me a layman's explanation I'd love to hear it. lol I find it all very interesting but my brain can't wrap itself around it all.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
When you have a sexlinked gene (albino, lacewing, opaline), it's only passed onto the X chromosome (I'm using XY, because that's what people learn when they're young) A female bird is XY while a male is XX. The gene is carried on the X. If you have a male albino, he has the ino gene on both X chromosomes. And will pass it on to all of his babies. The female babies will get X(ino) from dad and Y from mom. The female offspring will all ino. Females only need one copy of sex linked mutation genes to show it visually. Does that help?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.