Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the normal budgies that come from Australia are green/yellow, how were they bred to give rise to different colours (such as gray, blue, violet, white), since as little as I know about genetics, I would expect that if those budgies breed, their offsprings would have the colours of their parents, green, yellow with black markings?

So how were those budgies bred to give such variety of colours other than the colours of the wild budgerigars?

I've also been wondering how these small budgies were bred to produce larger, English/Show Budgies.

So how did it all start?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Without getting technical here is a brief explanation

Mutations are changes to the DNA sequencing. This can be caused by many things including: errors in copying the gene, radiation, disease, chemicals, excessive inbreeding, lack of or an excess of minerals, etc., etc.

These changes can effect any area of a bird or animal but we are only concerned with the ones that effect the colors or patterns. If a mutation occurs in a feral population it will probably be lost because any bird that looks different will be a target predators or it could be cast out from the flock. If a color mutation occurs in a captive population we carefully preserve it and try to breed more like it

The size of our budgies is not caused by a mutation as much as by selective breeding. By always choosing the biggest chicks from a clutch to keep for breeding over a large number of generations the size of the birds will increase

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mutations

This wont explain it in detail but it will give you an idea plus if you are interested in see Budgies wild in the Aussie outback. Link below;

[nomedia]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFrC_oKW4yM[/nomedia]
This is the first time I have ever put in a link so I hope it works. lol

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without getting technical here is a brief explanation

Mutations are changes to the DNA sequencing. This can be caused by many things including: errors in copying the gene, radiation, disease, chemicals, excessive inbreeding, lack of or an excess of minerals, etc., etc.

These changes can effect any area of a bird or animal but we are only concerned with the ones that effect the colors or patterns. If a mutation occurs in a feral population it will probably be lost because any bird that looks different will be a target predators or it could be cast out from the flock. If a color mutation occurs in a captive population we carefully preserve it and try to breed more like it

The size of our budgies is not caused by a mutation as much as by selective breeding. By always choosing the biggest chicks from a clutch to keep for breeding over a large number of generations the size of the birds will increase
So you're saying, if I breed budgies for a few generations, by selecting pairs consisting of the largest chicks, I'll eventually end up with an English/Show Budgie?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
So you're saying, if I breed budgies for a few generations, by selecting pairs consisting of the largest chicks, I'll eventually end up with an English/Show Budgie?
Well not quite. It took about 200 years of solective breeding to go from the Australiana wild budgie to today's Exhibition bird.

I took (large) 1/2 English hens and bred them to the largest exhibition cocks I could afford. Each generation I would I would again put them with the best exhibition stock I could afford. It took me nearly 10 years to get a decent novice exhibition bird.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.