Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone!
I know this is a very commonly asked question, but how do I get my budgie to step up on my hand?
I've tried slowly moving my hand away when I'm handfeeding him many times, but he just stops and waits for my hand to come, although he does stretch greatly to reach the food.
I also tried gently applying pressure onto his lower stomach, but that does not seem to work either.
I don't want to push him off his perch so he steps up, I want him to feel comfortable.
He seems extremely bored in his cage, and I want to let him fly around, but I need him to step up so I can put him back in, and so he starts trusting me more.
Thanks very much.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot, this was very helpful!
I will try understanding a little more about my budgie's behavior, as I'm not sure if he wants to step up or not, but he didn't step up on his old perch, so maybe he doesn't want to step up at all.
I just want to be able to handle him if I'm going to change his cage or give him sometime outside his cage without grabbing him.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That isn’t a great pic but that’s my guy inside his POD tent. It is big enough that I can get in there with him too if I’m down on the floor. It’s about the size of a phone booth but only about 5 feet tall.

mine is similar to this one but there are some different sizes and dimensions.
Thanks a lot, I'll check it out.
Try using the back of your hand rather than your finger when you want your budgie to step-up.
I find that my budgies prefer to step up on my hand when I offer it to them palm down.
I might try that too.
Thanks a lot for the help.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot! That's very helpful. I noticed that my budgie really likes a cup I used to feed him with, and he once stood in it, so I'll try that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.