Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Administrator
60,478 Posts
Try using the back of your hand rather than your finger when you want your budgie to step-up.
I find that my budgies prefer to step up on my hand when I offer it to them palm down.

· Administrator
60,478 Posts
Firstly, don't use the good, it distracts them since they focus on it, for the first bit of time I found out my female liked a plastic measuring spoon that I use to fill the mirror dishes up with seeds. So when she was in an ideal spot, I would place the spoon in between the bars and push a bit ( mind you it was hard to get to her lower belly bc of the height of the mirror was placed so it was more the middle of her belly ) and say the voice cue ‘step up if she would put one paw on id say ‘hop on and repeat that until she stepped up since we didn't have small treats she only got vocal praise and now when my hand is in the cage I say step up and she steps up and if she only puts one paw its hop on and she puts the other paw on.

Hope this helps :)

In the first sentence I mean food, not good. Dang autocorrect
Using food to help a budgie learn to step up is perfectly acceptable practice.

It is not recommended to have mirrors in your bird's cage as interacting with the mirror can contribute to your budgie becoming aggressive and/or territorial.
Additionally, some budgies will begin regurgitating to the mirror to the point where they actually become malnourished.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.