Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting a new budgie and he’s male and a year old! The people that are giving him to me said that he’s been tryna mate with the girls in his cage. And I have female budgie at home that’s only 7 months old. Do you guys happen to have any advice on this? I will have them both on separate cages near each other and only let them out with supervision. But sometimes I would like to leave them alone without worrying you know. Any advice would be very appreciated:)!!!

Also don’t worry I’m Quarantining for a month, just forgot to mention lol. But I did still want to educate myself ahead of time:)

·
Banned
321 Posts
It isn't good to leave them unsupervised not only can they mate but they can get themselves into trouble and injure themselves. Coastal Australia is a very different terrain to your lounge room or bedroom.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It isn't good to leave them unsupervised not only can they mate but they can get themselves into trouble and injure themselves. Coastal Australia is a very different terrain to your lounge room or bedroom.
I have a bird room lol. I let my birds out all day! 12-7. It’s bird proof. My question is about reducing my chances of them mating:)

·
Administrator
59,662 Posts
It's great that you will be quarantining the new budgie and housing the male and female separately.
I would be very apprehensive about leaving the male and female in a bird-room unsupervised as you have no way of knowing whether or not the male may try to mount the female when you are not present.
The actions one takes when budgies are housed together aren't applicable to birds that are having unsupervised out-of-cage time together.
It sounds as though the male budgie may be one that is going to want to mate no matter what.
Ensuring they are always supervised when they are out together is going to be the only way you will be risk-free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's great that you will be quarantining the new budgie and housing the male and female separately.
I would be very apprehensive about leaving the male and female in a bird-room unsupervised as you have no way of knowing whether or not the male may try to mount the female when you are not present.
The actions one takes when budgies are housed together aren't applicable to birds that are having unsupervised out-of-cage time together.
It sounds as though the male budgie may be one that is going to want to mate no matter what.
Ensuring they are always supervised when they are out together is going to be the only way you will be risk-free.
Is there anything I can do to make him less horny or anything lol? Because I’m now considering not getting him!. He’s cute and a nice bird, but I really can’t have my female budgie going through him tryna mate with her.

·
Administrator
59,662 Posts
Cassie and luna: According to the flag under Susu11's avatar, she is in Canada.

Susu11 -- Have you considered looking into adopting a budgie from a shelter? That would be great for the bird as you could give her what she needs -- a safe and loving forever home.

Is there anything I can do to make him less interest in mating or anything lol? Because I’m now considering not getting him!. He’s cute and a nice bird, but I really can’t have my female budgie going through him tryna mate with her.

Yes, but you would still need to ensure they are supervised whenever they have out of cage time OR let one out while the other remains in his/her cage.

To help with the continual urge to "mate", you would need to ensure the budgie has access to lots of flight/climbing exercise.
Provide two or three swings to encourage him to keep moving and tire himself out.
Provide chew toys like Kabobs and other shredding toys which are helpful are helpful and you would need to provide plenty of wood to chew--especially when he is in condition.
Reduce the number of hours of light he gets as well as the percent of protein and other foods used to bring birds into condition.
If the urges don’t dissipate, take the budgie to an Avian Vet for a check-up.
Sometimes, the vet will suggest a special diet or hormone injection to balance the natural hormones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cassie and luna: According to the flag under Susu11's avatar, she is in Canada.

Susu11 -- Have you considered looking into adopting a budgie from a shelter? That would be great for the bird as you could give her what she needs -- a safe and loving forever home.

Yes, but you would still need to ensure they are supervised whenever they have out of cage time OR let one out while the other remains in his/her cage.

To help with the continual urge to "mate", you would need to ensure the budgie has access to lots of flight/climbing exercise.
Provide two or three swings to encourage him to keep moving and tire himself out.
Provide chew toys like Kabobs and other shredding toys which are helpful are helpful and you would need to provide plenty of wood to chew--especially when he is in condition.
Reduce the number of hours of light he gets as well as the percent of protein and other foods used to bring birds into condition.
If the urges don’t dissipate, take the budgie to an Avian Vet for a check-up.
Sometimes, the vet will suggest a special diet or hormone injection to balance the natural hormones.
I can’t seem to find any near by, but I’ll look for more! And thanks for the advice you guys!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
America has craigslist, Australia has gumtree, do you have an equivalent online marketplace?

Or even FB marketplace might be a goer?
Our FB market place doesn’t sell live things, and we have Kijiji but the birds on there are treated horribly! Like it’s like a breading business, so you have to be careful from buying from them. If you look at my last discussion, I had bought a budgie from a pet store and she died just in 3 days! The conditions of that store was horrible and tried my best! I thought she was just having stress poop and there was no other symptoms and she just dropped dead. It was very traumatizing and ever since then I have been get careful from where I buy my birds.

Our FB market place doesn’t sell live things, and we have Kijiji but the birds on there are treated horribly! Like it’s like a breading business, so you have to be careful from buying from them. If you look at my last discussion, I had bought a budgie from a pet store and she died just in 3 days! The conditions of that store was horrible and tried my best! I thought she was just having stress poop and there was no other symptoms and she just dropped dead. It was very traumatizing and ever since then I have been get careful from where I buy my birds.
I wish there was other signs so then I could have taken her to the vet or returned her ahead of time so that I could’ve saved her. But everyone said give it a week and they are right Cus the droppings wasn’t that bad. Everything happened so suddenly. I’ve been looking for a friend for my budgie for 3 months now. Just had luck but he’s a male:(

·
Banned
321 Posts
Maybe you can put an ad on Facebook or other social media saying you are looking for budgie breeders?

My two ladies are pet shop birds but from a family owned business not a chain. They are luckily healthy and active. I just wish they weren't clipped.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe you can put an ad on Facebook or other social media saying you are looking for budgie breeders?

My two ladies are pet shop birds but from a family owned business not a chain. They are luckily healthy and active. I just wish they weren't clipped.
I have done that. No luck tho. No joke but like 80% of the breeders here it’s business for them . Pretty sad! Thanks for the advice tho! Ima take my time and try to find another friend for my budgie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.