Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at a couple posts on lacewings. I would love to breed this beautiful mutation someday but I need an explanation on how do go about doing so. I know for a fact there aren't any around here I can buy. So I can't just buy a pair. Lacewings are a mix of albino or lutino and cinnamon. I would like the white version so I would buy a albino bird. I already have a cinnamon hen. But can I possible start with a cinnamon hen or a cinnamon ****? I know that both albino and cinnamon are sex linked so I'm assuming it would take a couple of generations to even produce one lacewing chick. It would be great if someone with experience in breeding lace wings could give me some advice. The lace wing I am aiming to breed would have dark cinnamon wings cinnamon and violet cheek patches and a darkened suffusion towards the vent.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You start with a lace-wing. What makes them so special is keeping the dark cinnamon wing pattern. The key to breeding them is to keep adding dark birds into the line. So for a white lace-wings you want to add normal grey, cobalt or violet. For yellow lace-wings you breed grey greens or dark greens into the line.

Lace-wing is a sex linked mutation. This means the mutation is on the female gean. A hen can never be split for it. A **** has to have 2 copies of the gean to show the muation.

I would go to an exhibtion breeder to buy your stock. The reason is they keep breeding to the color standard. Lou Smaldino of CA is one such breeder. [email protected] here is a link to his web site http://www.budgerigarassociation.com/ OOOPS here is his link sorry http://www.legacyaviaries.com/

Also NEVER use cinnamon in this line. Cinnamon reduces the body color by 50%. That is NOT the affect you wish to achive with this mutation. Hope this helps. YOu can tell Lou I sent you too. :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Umm this is great info but like I said there isn't any lacewings in my area. I know that you can breed an albino and a cinnamon somehow and get a lacewing. Does anyone know how to do this?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
I am breeding cinnamons to inos and in the 2nd generation so far I have 5 female lacewings. The next generation should produce some males

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Mate cinnamons to inos to produce normal cocks that are split for both cinnamon & ino. It doesn't matter which way round the mutations are but it would pay to have several pairs to avoid inbreeding in later generations

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I am breeding cinnamons to inos and in the 2nd generation so far I have 5 female lacewings. The next generation should produce some males
hi nev,

that sounds like a great strike rate, i thought the cross over needed to create one from scratch was very low?

or were you starting with cinnamon split for inos, or inos split for cinnamon? that would allow the lacewings to appear without a cross over wouldn't it?

·
Registered
93 Posts
i thought lace-wing was a mutation on its own. ive heard that lace-wings bred with cinnamons or inos bring out wierd results but didnt know it was a combination of ino and cinnamon.. i want to try this.. but first of all i should get an ino :D
thanks Bridget
thanks Nev

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.