Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the yellowface gene dominant in any way?
Does dom pied take over? Or opaline?

Is opaline or spangle dominant over each other?
Or both recessive to some point, is that why you can get a mutation
where both opaline and spangle co-existist in the one bird, showing
itself on the wings.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The mutations act independently. One is not more or less dominant than another. A bird can be several mutations at the same time but each mutation will be inherited by the offspring according to the rules of the individual mutation

For example a yellow face opaline spangle male mated to a normal blue hen would produce all opaline daughters and non- opaline sons, but the yellow face & the spangle would only be inherited by half the chicks - combined in some and not in others

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Most mutations are on different parts of the genetic code so you could think of them as being 'co-dominant' meaning they can all exist and effect colour together. This is how you get combination varieties (many many unique combinations).

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mutations act independently. One is not more or less dominant than another. A bird can be several mutations at the same time but each mutation will be inherited by the offspring according to the rules of the individual mutation

For example a yellow face opaline spangle male mated to a normal blue hen would produce all opaline daughters and non- opaline sons, but the yellow face & the spangle would only be inherited by half the chicks - combined in some and not in others
Most mutations are on different parts of the genetic code so you could think of them as being 'co-dominant' meaning they can all exist and effect colour together. This is how you get combination varieties (many many unique combinations).
How very exciting! This helped alot with mutation knowledge.
Thankyou so much for answering :) thats great to know, I guess I
wondered why Artek & Zafu, both having a yellow face, had no YF babies?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
i think artek is a green rather than a yellow faced blue isn't he? so are you asking about the yellow face variety (blue birds with yellow mask etc) or greens (which have yellow base colour)?

if atrek and zafu are both greens then they must both be split for blue and by chance you only got blue babies.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Putting two yellowfaces doesnt guarantee their chicks will all be yellowfaces. You can expect from pairing 2x yellowface type 1 blues to get:

25% normal blue (no yellowface), 50% yellowface type 1, 25% 'double factor' yellowface type 1 (white faces but will produce all yellowface chicks when paired to a normal blue).

Techinically there is no double factor yellowface type 1's but i wont get into that.

Essentially putting two yellowfaces together means you have roughly 50% chance of each chick being yellowface, so you could get all yellowface chicks and you could get no yellowface chicks - its all the odds game.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Putting two yellowfaces doesnt guarantee their chicks will all be yellowfaces. You can expect from pairing 2x yellowface type 1 blues to get:

25% normal blue (no yellowface), 50% yellowface type 1, 25% 'double factor' yellowface type 1 (white faces but will produce all yellowface chicks when paired to a normal blue).

Techinically there is no double factor yellowface type 1's but i wont get into that.

Essentially putting two yellowfaces together means you have roughly 50% chance of each chick being yellowface, so you could get all yellowface chicks and you could get no yellowface chicks - its all the odds game.
Oh wow that was ever so helpful. I guess there is just SOOO many
different expectations on genes & mutations. thankyou so much
for clearing that up. Its making a little more sense now about the odd
of getting what you would expect by looking, and not being a complete
expert of what to expect in %'s :) Thankyou :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.