Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost never made this thread seeing as there's a lot of experienced owners here. But it can't hurt to tell you all what I do? Right? ;)

Anyway, my budgies are happy enough to eat fruit but vegetables for some reason has been a little bit of a hit and miss :rolleyes: So I devised a cunning plan to get them to eat them by teaching them 'yummy' stuff gets put in the veggie cup.

First of all I got them interested in my steel feed cup (separate from the usual feeders). I picked about six of the 'balls' off the millet stem and popped them in the cup and placed it in the cage. Within thirty minutes the millet balls were gone. I took the cup away when it was finished.

The next day I repeated twice, putting the cup in early afternoon and again late evening. Again everything was eaten.

The next day I put in the millet balls again as well as some broccoli and a few peas. I left the cup in for a good few hours and was delighted to find it was all gone come bedtime.

The next day I didn't put the millet in, just some broccoli and carrots. They ate it all up :D

And today, I made them a hardboiled egg, mashed up with the shell with some peas. I took one millet ball and sprinkled it over the top. To my absolute delight they all got tucked in!

I tried egg before and they never touched it, so I'm considering this a big success.

Note, I don't take away their normal feed at all during this 'experiment', Gypsy is still a baby and I didn't want to risk her going hungry! Though she was a good girl and copied what the others did anyway... but I think if you were careful about it (giving them seeds in the morning, then taking it away and put the cup in for a few hours then putting the seeds back in) it could work quicker!

But remember guys, patience is key, every bird is different and more importantly just have fun doing it. I love coming up with new 'recipes' for them to try :D

Below is a picture of what they ate today, a week ago they would of ignored it!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.