Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I have two budgies, Gigi and Pinù. They’ve been with me for about nine months now and I absolutely adore them! I got them when I was single and in full pandemic lock-down, working remotely, so they're used to me being home most of the time. But lately I’ve been seeing someone, and spending quite a lot of time at his place — maybe three to four days out of the week on average. My mother lives next door to me, and she comes by to change the birdies’ food and water, clean their cage, and chat with them for a bit; sometimes sits with them for a while as she reads or knits. So they’re not completely on their own and their basic needs are taken care of. Also,they have a large cage that they can fly around in and get plenty of exercise without having to leave the cage. But I feel so guilty about leaving them! I got them as an adult pair, so they are bonded to each other more than they are to me; still, they’re used to having a human around most of the time. I’m wondering if I should install a cage at my boyfriend’s house, and bring them with me when I go? But I’m not sure if shuffling back and forth would be more stressful to them than staying where they are. I miss them when I’m away, but if I know they’re well and happy I can deal with it. I just want to do what’s best for them. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
17,936 Posts
Hi Kathleen!

An official "welcome" to the forums~

I think they're actually okay for now. It's great that you can have your mother look in on them and you're sure they're getting at least some interaction with humans daily, as well as always having food and water. Moving them back and forth would definitely be more stressful to them. It would be a concern if you had a single bird dependent on human interaction, but since they have each other, and they have a nice big cage, I think they'll be ok. It's not an ideal situation because you technically should be the one doing these things for them, but it also is not good for them to be moving around all the time either. I'm assuming there's probably limited space in your house (?) so it's probably more convenient for you to go over to your boyfriend's house rather than for him to come over there.

Hopefully as things progress you'll be able to determine which location it's best to keep them in~

As a point of interest, does your boyfriend know that you have birds, and is he okay with them? Sometimes we see people who's partner doesn't like their birds or doesn't want to live with them, which ends up being a problem.

Best wishes, I know this is a complicated situation! 👋

·
Administrator
55,089 Posts
I'm in agreement with Star. However, if the situation is going to continue like it is long term then I believe it will call for a re-evaluation.
Best wishes!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey there Kathleen! Welcome to the forum. Couldn't agree more with the above comments. Wishing Gigi and Pinù the best!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your feedback! I also felt like shuttling my birdies back and forth would be more stressful to them than keeping them here, with my mom looking after them. And yes, my partner is aware of my budgies! :) He loves them and would be more than happy to have them at his home. The reason we’re at his place more than mine (though he does come here too) is because he has a farm with animals that need lots of attention. But no cats, thankfully — nothing for my budgies to worry about if we decide to cohabitate. We will certainly re-evaluate the situation as things progress. Thanks again! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts