Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,
Just out of curiousity, how many mutations can a budgie be split for at once? Is it only one?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
I don't think it is only one, because a budgie could be split for recessive pied along with cinnamon along with other stuff, I think... :eek:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I don't think it is only one, because a budgie could be split for recessive pied along with cinnamon along with other stuff, I think... :eek:
I agree. If you look at what people say a bird is they have hidden genes and it can be a few different ones like Brandon says :)

G

·
Split is meant for recessive genes and not dominant genes. Spangle is a dominant gene which cannot be split in any budgie.

Split genes are recessive pieds, inos, dilutes, opalines, blue gene, cinnamons, greywings, etc. I am not too sure whether any budgie can be split for dominant pied.

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Budgies can be split for any number of mutations provided that the mutations appear on different alleles.

A bird can be split for any of the sex-linked or recessive mutations like blue, greywing, recessive pied, opaline, cinnamon, ino, fallow etc. all at the same time. Each mutation would be inherited independently according to the rules for that mutation

Multiple dominant mutations can also appear on the same budgie, the presence of one mutation may make another mutation difficult to see but when the bird is bred some of the chicks will show the mutation proving that the parent has a hidden mutation

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Multiple dominant mutations can also appear on the same budgie, the presence of one mutation may make another mutation difficult to see but when the bird is bred some of the chicks will show the mutation proving that the parent has a hidden mutation
Hidden dominant mutations are called "masked," not "split" mutations -- correct?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.