Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have the following product that my local shop keeper had for the essential vitamins and minerals for budgies.
Bird Pet supply Organism Yellow Beak

Font Rectangle Event Electric blue

How much of it should I give to my budgies? And at what frequency should I let them eat this?
For context, the shopkeeper said that leave this in their food tray and let them eat till they've had enough of it. And then give them this again every 15 days. But I want expert opinion as I think 15 days is too big of a gap.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,335 Posts
Please do NOT give them this. It is not a good vitamin supplement because it contains grit, which can be harmful to budgies.

Some birds need grit because they do not hull their seeds. However, budgies peel their seeds before eating them so they do not need grit to digest. It can cause digestive problems and even injury if they ingest insoluble materials like this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't grit in essence something which an animal does not digest and it's only purpose is to help digestion? This product contains a mixture of digestible substances that are naturally available in the nature. So how will this harm the bird? I'm asking this as I'm a bit confused as the ingredients that is written on the box does not say it has small rocks or sand but rather edible stuff. Now I can understand that there could be some nutrient rich stuff that is not water soluble. Are you perhaps talking about that?

·
Super Moderator
19,335 Posts
As an answer to your question, just because things are "naturally available in nature" does not mean they are not harmful. Many plants and tree branches are toxic to budgies as well, despite them being natural products.

While some of the contents of this mix are digestible, many are not as soluble (i.e "soft brick" and "white stone"), especially when consumed in large quantities. As FaeryBee indicated, it's always better to provide cuttlebones and mineral blocks instead to ensure that there is no possibility of crop impaction.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok understood. What about those multivitamin and minerals sachets that you dissolve in water so that the birds drink from that? Are they safe? The only reason I bought that grit box is because I could not find any mineral block or cuttlebones.

GRIT causes crop impaction in budgies.
You should provide a mineral block instead.

Did you read the information in the links you were provided when you joined the forum?

The Truth about GRIT
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Yes I went through the link but still wanted to clarify some confusions

·
Super Moderator
19,335 Posts
Ok understood. What about those multivitamin and minerals sachets that you dissolve in water so that the birds drink from that? Are they safe? The only reason I bought that grit box is because I could not find any mineral block or cuttlebones.
I have not heard of those, can you post a photo of the product?

·
Administrator
58,954 Posts
That product should not be used for budgies. Budgies are Psittacines (hooked billed parrots) which do NOT need grit.
Psittacines shell their seeds before they eat them, and therefore do not need grit to digest their food.

When a budgie is eating a healthy diet consisting of pellets, a high quality seed mix, and vegetables and have both cuttlebones and mineral blocks, they should not require additional vitamins.

Chickens are Fowls.
More than half the world's unique bird species, including all the classic songbirds, sparrows, and finches are Passerines.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That product should not be used for budgies. Budgies are Psittacines (hooked billed parrots) which do NOT need grit.
Psittacines shell their seeds before they eat them, and therefore do not need grit to digest their food.

When a budgie is eating a healthy diet consisting of pellets, a high quality seed mix, and vegetables and have both cuttlebones and mineral blocks, they should not require additional vitamins.

Chickens are Fowls.
More than half the world's unique bird species, including all the classic songbirds, sparrows, and finches are Passerines.
I think the original question was already answered? My latest message concerned the water soluble solution.
Though thank you for wrapping the discussion up in a single answer about the grit.

·
Administrator
58,954 Posts
With regard to the water soluble vitamins, I would first ask you what diet your budgies are eating.

When a budgie is eating a healthy diet consisting of pellets, a high quality seed mix, and vegetables and have both cuttlebones and mineral blocks, they generally should not require additional vitamins.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say their diet consists 60-70% seed mix and 30-40% greens. The greens consist of Spinach, Cilantro and Mint. I provide them mint every 2-5 days.
They finish up all of their spinach and sometimes and prefer it over the seed mix.
They don't eat Cilantro as much as Spinach. They will take a bite from its leaves here and there, and will nibble on stems and eat it halfway and not fully. And they seem to prefer the stem more than the leaves of Cilantro, but still won't eat too much. It's like they will have it just for the taste.
I have mentioned this before but the thing is, in my country it's nearly impossible to find cuttlefish bones. 90% of shopkeepers have never even heard of it. Those who know what it is say that it is not that common and it's difficult to know who sells them.
I can certainly try to find again but I wanted a backup option which is why I was asking about the water soluble one.
Oh and when I say it's difficult to know who sells cuttlefish bones, I also meant other mineral blocks.
I wouldn't have even bought that vitamin and mineral grit box if I could find them.
In case I do find cuttlefish bones (hope so), how will I cover for the other essential vitamins and minerals?

·
Administrator
58,954 Posts
The key to a healthy diet for budgies is much the same as it is for humans and other animals. You are best to serve foods in moderation

I would recommend you cut back on feeding spinach to once or twice a week.

Spinach and Parsley contain oxalic acid which binds to calcium, blocks the absorption of calcium and puts stress on the kidneys.
Too much oxalic acid can also cause poor blood clotting and convulsions in birds.

Other green leafy vegetables you can offer include:

Kale
chard
collard greens
fresh beet greens
fresh mustard greens
fresh turnip greens
endive

Romaine
watercress
fresh sprouts
chickweed and dandelion leaves (ensure they have not been chemically treated)

Are you able to find pellets in your country?

Cuttlebones provide the calcium budgies need.
Since you are unable to find cuttlebones and mineral blocks (I'm assuming ordering products on-line is out of the question in your location) by all means go ahead and use the water soluble vitamins.
I suggest you put just a scant 1/8 teaspoon of the mixture in a liter of water for the budgies.
Please be sure to change the water daily.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should definitely cut back on Spinach thanks for the information. I will look for the mentioned greens from the list on my next visit to the market.

There is one thing that I am 100% sure. Pellets? No way they exist in my country. The bird market is huge here. A budgie will never cost more than $2 each whether young or old. English budgies ones may cost more but $6-8 at max. But the issue is that people are simply ignorant when it comes to a balanced diet for budgies and will only give them seeds their entire lives. So there is no market for pellets and importing them is out of question.
I have asked big breeders which do care about the quality of life of birds and they give them a large variety of chopped leafy greens and vegetables along with a small portion of seeds.
People are not entirely ignorant though. Everyone loves and cares for budgies or love birds or any other bird as if they're part of the family. Birds are an integral part of many people's lives here. Some people love birds so much they will have hundreds of birds in one big flock on the roof of their houses in large cages. Pigeons are more popular for large flocks though. People just don't invest extra time to study what these birds should be actually eating and how to provide the best life you can to them. Bigger birds can eat from a bigger variety of seeds but small birds like budgies can't.
I just wanted to give some background of where I'm coming from when I say pellets and other important stuff is missing in my country so apologies for the long reply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts