Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,416 Posts
Please do NOT give them this. It is not a good vitamin supplement because it contains grit, which can be harmful to budgies.

Some birds need grit because they do not hull their seeds. However, budgies peel their seeds before eating them so they do not need grit to digest. It can cause digestive problems and even injury if they ingest insoluble materials like this.

·
Super Moderator
19,416 Posts
As an answer to your question, just because things are "naturally available in nature" does not mean they are not harmful. Many plants and tree branches are toxic to budgies as well, despite them being natural products.

While some of the contents of this mix are digestible, many are not as soluble (i.e "soft brick" and "white stone"), especially when consumed in large quantities. As FaeryBee indicated, it's always better to provide cuttlebones and mineral blocks instead to ensure that there is no possibility of crop impaction.

·
Super Moderator
19,416 Posts
Ok understood. What about those multivitamin and minerals sachets that you dissolve in water so that the birds drink from that? Are they safe? The only reason I bought that grit box is because I could not find any mineral block or cuttlebones.
I have not heard of those, can you post a photo of the product?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.