Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of budgies, but today I learnt that they both are females. They are laying eggs without mating. Yesterday, they fought so much that they have injured each others left eye. There is lockdown in our country so I can't take them to the avian vet. I can't see them in this situation and I have to treat them at home. How should I treat their eyes at home? (I also want to add a point that they are not that much tamed that I can take them in my hand and treat them.)
Suggestions will be appreciated.
Please find the attached photos of their eyes.

#budgies #injuredbudgie #budgerigars

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,886 Posts
You need to immediately separate these two birds, this level of fighting is very dangerous to the point of severe injury or worse if not separated. Even in a lockdown vets may be open with a different protocol for emergencies, see if you can phone a vet for advice on something you can use to treat the eyes.

·
Administrator
56,638 Posts
Cody is correct.

Those two Budgies can NOT be allowed in the same cage together.
They will ultimately kill one another.

The eye injuries are severe and need to be treated by a professional.
We normally do not allow pictures of this nature to be shown on the forum.
I'm making an exception in this case for now dependent upon on how you proceed.

You need to be pro-active and start calling vets in your area to see who can help.
In the meantime, rinse the eyes with a sterile saline solution made for eyes which is available at the pharmacy.
The vet may prescribe an antibiotic and/or an antibacterial ophthalmic salve to be used to help prevent infection. Hopefully, neither will be blinded in the injured eyes but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are.

Do you have additional Budgies as well as these? Do not house either of these birds with any others.

Please be sure to update us after you have contacted various veterinary practices. You may be able to email them the photos to get advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.