Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that if you have a male split for say opaline or cinnamon they will possibly have opaline or cinnamon females....... What I am wondering is if the male chicks can be split for cinnomon or Opaline as well because the father was? Is this possible? or does it not work that way. Also just to be clear if you pair up a opaline or cinnamon hen with a normal **** all of their male babies will be split for cinnamon or opaline? Correct?

Can a bird be split for clearwing? or be hiding the clearwing gene?

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
You are correct. A opaline or cinnamon split male may or may not pass on to chicks. Any opaline or cinnamons resulting would be female unless you also have a visual female, in which case you would have both males and females.

A visual female can only pass on to male offspring and they may or may not be split.

I'm not sure if clearwing can be split or not. As far as I know, its only the sex-linked genes that can be split, of course Im probably wrong on that. The only way that I know of for it to be masked is by an Albino/Lutino bird, a Dark-eyed Clear bird, or a Double Factor Spangle.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me if I'm wrong though. :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
its not just sex linked genes that can be split, any Recessive gene can be split such as Recessive pied

Clear wing Can be split

and yes if the male is Cinnamon, Opaline, Ino, and the female is not all visuals will be females The boys will be split to the sex linked gene no matter which parent carries it

the only difference is a Female can NOT be split to a sex linked mutation there for she's either that sex linked mutation or she is not

but both parents give the sex linked mutations in the form of splits to their sons

Recessive genes such as Recessive pied, Clear wing, and any other that is recessive to the Normal gene (i can't think of them all off the top of my head) Has to have both parents having it to get any visual Either both parents split for it, 1 parent visual 1 split . If only one parent is split for it then 50% of the babies (both male and females) would be split to it as well and it doesn't matter which parent is split for it to be carried out

and that is what makes it hard to tell which parent carries it.

example you have 2 normal blue birds you breed them and keep 1 of their off spring We'll say a boy, You breed him to a Recessive pied - you've assumed his parents were just Normal no splits neither were visual, Yet when the babies feather out you have recessive pieds So back to the drawing board but it's not so easy to figure out who has the split recessive pied gene, You would have to test breed the Parents To see who carries it and the best way to do it would be to use a visual recessive pied or one you know for a fact is Split of the opposit gender With each Parent which ever nest gives Recessive pied then you'd know which parent carried the recessive pied gene and which one gave it to the baby you kept

Hope I didn't confuse any one :) and that all of this makes sense

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So. In saying that... if you have a split opaline male he may or may not pass the gene onto his male sons.any visual opalines from him are hens.... but if it was the visual female carying the opaline she would pass the split to all of her sons but not onto any females. Also I thought you had to have two recessive pied genes to get recessive pieds?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
So. In saying that... if you have a split opaline male he may or may not pass the gene onto his male sons.any visual opalines from him are hens.... but if it was the visual female carying the opaline she would pass the split to all of her sons but not onto any females. Also I thought you had to have two recessive pied genes to get recessive pieds?
yes as I stated above both parents have to have the recessive pied gene to get them visually, One can be visual and one split to get it or Both Visual or Both split

If both parents are split for Recessive pied 25% of the babies will be Visual Recessive pied 50% will be normal Split to recessive pied and 25% Will be normal and NOT be split to recessive pied

If 1 parent is Visual and 1 parent is split for recessive pied then you'd get
50%Recessive pied and 50% Normals Split for Recessive pied

and of course if BOTH parents are visually Recessive pied you get 100% recessive pied visually

these are percents are in the males and females

If a male is split for Opaline(or any sex linked gene) 50% of his sons will get the split while the other 50% will not and yes any Visual opalines will be females if Only the dad is Split for Opaline BUT since dad is just Split Only 50% of his Female babies will be opaline, the other half will be Normal Females

If the female is Visual Opaline than all her boys are Split to it and Your correct none of her females would receive it Only the males get the sex linked Gene as a Split, Females can not be split to sex linked genes so they're either visually the sex linked gene or they don't have it at all

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright thanks. That is what i thought but I just thought I would check to confirm as I wasn't sure if a male split could pass the gene onto his son's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.