Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Iam new to this forum , Just wanted to say Heloo.

I keep both show type and pet type budgies,

And i am trying to breed rainbow budgies. Any help from your guys will be appreciated.

thanks

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
Welcome to Talk Budgies:). THere is a lot of people on here who know aobut genetics, and I'm sure they'll be able to help you out:) I hope you are successful in breeding rainbows:)

·
Sombody get the duct tape
2,028 Posts
Welcome to Talk Budgies, I hope all goes well with breeding, rainbows are just gorgeous!

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
Hi!! Good luck with breeding rainbows, hope someone can help. Would love to see some pics of your budgies and see you around the forums!
Becki xx

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum,

Im also planning to breed rainbows. Do you have a plan of attack? I have it all planned out, im just missing one major component.... clearwing budgies :p

Havent been able to locate a breeder yet lol. I'll get there!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There are many combinations of mutations that are very colourful and are sometimes incorrectly referred to as "Rainbows"

The world Budgerigar Organisation describes a rainbow budgie as a composite of yellow or golden face blue series whitewing (clearwing) opaline

Opaline is a sex-linked gene and clearwing is a recessive gene so you can't breed a rainbow in one generatiion

To breed a "Rainbow" mate a yellow faced blue opaline to a clearwing to produce a yellow face male that is split for both opaline and clearwing. Next mate this bird to a clearwing female and some of the chicks should be rainbow females. If one of these rainbow females is mated to another yellow face blue that is split for both opaline and clearwing you would get rainbows of both sexes

The addition of a violet factor or using golden face instead of either of the normal yellow face mutations could make the result even more beautiful. Also a good understanding of how the dark factor works will help you to produce the shade of blue that you prefer

Good luck

·
Registered
562 Posts
welcome and good luck. I look forward to seeing how things go, post pics when you start so we can all follow along!

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
Hello and welcome. Good luck with the rainbow budgies.
I see that you're from Maldives. Weather must be wonderful. Do you have an outdoor aviary? We would love to see pictures of your flock.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
Wow, Maldives is a beautiful island. Great vacation spot. I had no idea where Maldives was, so looked it up on google.
With that a warm welcome to Talk Budgies. Nice to have you as a member !!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No i have an indoor bird room with breeding cages.

I will post some pics of my budgies once i figure it out.

thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.