Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shown a picture of a one but I still couldn't figure it out LOL

the English Recessive pied I got at the fair on Sunday I think is also a spangle and my friend who also breeds budgies(but just American budgies) also thinks so she's the one who sent me the picture because she knows I am better at visual explaining then written lol

and I think he(my bird) knows I'm up to something He won't let me get a picture of his back to save my life, Every time I try he hurries up and turns around so I got tons of Great Front shots LOL but not any really good back shots

What makes me think he is also spangle

but Keep in mind all I have are Normal Spangles(as in NO pied mixed in what so ever) so I don't have much to compare to

but Comparing him to my recessive pied's the bottom part of the new guys markings are extremely dark(at last to me) compared to my other Recessive pied's

and that is how a Spangle is the bottom of the markings are Dark unlike a normal Non pied budgie has a white outline on the base of the markings the Spangles white (i'm talking blue based here for what it's worth lol) is on the top and the darker shade is on the bottom

but I just can't tell if he's Spangle too or not I was going to try to get some pics in natural light today have my b/f hold him in front of a window and not use flash BUT just my luck its been dark and storming all day so that plan will have to wait til the sun comes out again

but here are a couple pics of him (I think its a him) the band on him is wrong the breeder reused old bands the band says he is 19yrs old :eek: Its also a ABS band so i contacted them and again just as my luck goes the breeder has not been a member since 2004!

oh and another question about him

I know he's violet( I know the pics aren't showing it but he truly is) I just can't figure out if he's Double factor or Cobalt violet

I don't know who I'm putting him with yet, not sure if I'm going to use one of the females from the previous bird fair or wait and see if I find another female that would work better for him

But I can figure that all out later they're in quarantine right now any way :D

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
You can tell by looking at his cheek patches too.... they always have that mix of color and white :) I think he's a cobalt violet, the sf or df is not always easy to tell visually though on some birds so breeding is the best option fi you don't know his parents :D

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Lindsey :D

I did take him out a few mins ago and get some better pics I didn't want to do it on my own not really in the mood to get bit today and he bit the living day lights out of my b/f on Sunday taking him out of the carrier to put in the cage

but I did it any way :p either he was just biting out of being scared on Sunday or he likes me better than my bf Because he didn't even try to bite me just wiggle away lol

so here's a few more :D

It is NOT this dark out side The flash went off lol

this one I took right after the top one only shut the flash off

then a few back shots while he was on my daughters bed I bought him pre clipped

and today I hung the toy I won in the raffle in their cage, Fixed a swing I made a long time ago that the tiels had torn apart and gave it to them and put in a ladder for them too

I was going to hang my Link A Doodles in there for them too but I think I'll just make them a few more toys it looked like the Links would of just made the cage seem cluttered

Here's what I just added a few minutes ago

·
Registered
809 Posts
The answer...

Yes, it's a lovely spangle. For me to tell, I look at the back pattern on their wings. If it's mismatched, it's a spangle, if it's normal, it's normal.:D:D:D The bird is quite lovely though...

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
He is a spangle recessive pied. The violet factor can be very tricky, I have single factor violets that are a deeper shade than some of the double factors, so the only way to be sure is by breeding

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is a spangle recessive pied. The violet factor can be very tricky, I have single factor violets that are a deeper shade than some of the double factors, so the only way to be sure is by breeding
Thanks

but I still don't know how breeding him would tell me if he's Df or SF

If I put him to a Normal non violet I'd still get single factor violets And Only Single Factors
If I put him with one who has the violet factor I'd get single and double factors

since it only takes 1 parent carrying the violet no matter if its in the form of SF or DF you'd get only Single Factor Violets When put with one who does not carry the violet gene

if both parents carry the gene then your going to get both SF and DF

so how does breeding help determine if a parent is DF or SF? - that part is confusing me if you can't tell lol

I usually can tell but The yellow is making it very hard on me all mine are either White(dominant pied) or non pied and no yellow so its easier for me to tell on them

the yellow being all over the body just messes some of the colors up for me :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank You

and he's not all that mean either :D

when my b/f took him out of the carrier on Sunday to put him in the cage he bit him I had him out yesterday and he didn't even try to bite me

Hopefully it stays that way lol

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Thanks

but I still don't know how breeding him would tell me if he's Df or SF

If I put him to a Normal non violet I'd still get single factor violets And Only Single Factors
If I put him with one who has the violet factor I'd get single and double factors

since it only takes 1 parent carrying the violet no matter if its in the form of SF or DF you'd get only Single Factor Violets When put with one who does not carry the violet gene

if both parents carry the gene then your going to get both SF and DF

so how does breeding help determine if a parent is DF or SF? - that part is confusing me if you can't tell lol

I usually can tell but The yellow is making it very hard on me all mine are either White(dominant pied) or non pied and no yellow so its easier for me to tell on them

the yellow being all over the body just messes some of the colors up for me :)
When you breed him to a hen that is not violet you can tell if he is sf or df, as if he is sf only some of the babies will get the violet gene, if he is df all the chicks will be sf violet :)

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

When you breed him to a hen that is not violet you can tell if he is sf or df, as if he is sf only some of the babies will get the violet gene, if he is df all the chicks will be sf violet :)
:eek::eek::eek: I completely missed that fact when I used the genetic calculator ****

sometimes my eyes only see what they wanna see lol

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Beautiful bird! Please explain something to me: I always thought that the pied areas on a blue series bird is white. Yours look yellow. I also have babies now where the areas are yellow. Why is that? Are they maybe yellowfaces?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beautiful bird! Please explain something to me: I always thought that the pied areas on a blue series bird is white. Yours look yellow. I also have babies now where the areas are yellow. Why is that? Are they maybe yellowfaces?
his is like that because he's a yellow face type 2 which Goes over the entire body so since he's a recessive pied what would be White on a non yellow face has turned yellow on him

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.