Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new budgie today. Pretty sure it's a dominant pied. Can you tell the sex of this mutation through the color of the cere?

·
Optimus Prime
4,046 Posts
dominant pied is told like normal through the cere. males are blue ceres, females are white, light blue or brown and crusty depending on breeding cycle :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now that he/she has calmed down a lot, I was able to get a picture for everyone :D

The cere is kinda white but more of a very very very light chalky orange. Can't see it very well in the picture.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I was thinking. Does everyone else also agree this is a female budgie? :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
this defenatly looks like a hen shes beautiful the male budgie has more browner looking feet and beeks a females feet are always pinkier anyone else agree

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
A girl for sure :D

this defenatly looks like a hen shes beautiful the male budgie has more browner looking feet and beeks a females feet are always pinkier anyone else agree
I have never seen a difference between the 2 myself or read anything like that either. Just the ceres are different with the sexes :) As Susan said, it is the mutation that effects the pigmint of the feet and beak ;)

I can see how it would be easy to think it might make a difference though, if you had happened to have males of one mutation and females of another and had never seen them reversed :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi everyone i appologize to susan as i thought she was being funny with me also i just want to say i honestly didnt no about mutation and i just always thought that that was how you can tell them appart its probably because my hen has the pink feet and cere and my male has more browner cere and feet lol xx

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
hi everyone i appologize to susan as i thought she was being funny with me also i just want to say i honestly didnt no about mutation and i just always thought that that was how you can tell them appart its probably because my hen has the pink feet and cere and my male has more browner cere and feet lol xx
No worries :) I'm sure we've all had instances when we were told or seen something, but were told otherwise later on by someone else ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Question for everyone... If you could guess by how far her baby bars have receded back, how old would you guess she was? Also, will she get irises around her pupils when she's older?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool :D

How old do they have to be before they get the iris again?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.