Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that my budgie's cere has become very crusty and thick. I know that female budgies are supposed to have brown crusty ceres in breeding mode, but I've noticed that my budgie's cere is a lot more thicker than what it should normally be. I did some research and I found out that my bird has hyperkeratosis, which is caused by a lack of vitamin A. Is there a treatment? Can I treat this symptom by feeding her more vitamin A foods? If so, what are some good sources of vitamin A for budgies?

Thanks!

·
Member of the Month November 2014
3,202 Posts
Found this information:

"Vitamin A occurs naturally in dark leafy greens and orange-colored produce, such as apricots, cantaloupes, carrots, red peppers, pumpkins and sweet potatoes. To resolve Vitamin A deficiency, try adding foods like sweet potatoes (either cooked or steamed until soft), mashed up with other fruits will be both loved by your pet bird, as much as it is good for her or him. Many birds also enjoy fresh carrot juice - or try offering shredded carrots. Natural sources are preferable over synthetically produced nutrients, which may not be absorbable and could easily be overdosed"

And this should help you post some pics. Not only could that help in figuring out what's going on with your dear bird, but we'd love to see some pictures of her.

http://talkbudgies.com/how-guides/175818-how-post-pictures-photobucket.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.