Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone,

So, late last night, I was browsing Kijiji (think the Canadian version of Craigslist), and I came across this unbelievable post advertising a budgie for exchange or sale. It's in French, so I'll translate the gist of it:

"Hello. I would like to trade my blue budgie for some finches because he or she (the budgie) is too sweet/quiet/gentle. The cage could come with it. Or I'll sell it for $40. I'd like to to find it a family as fast as possible. Thanks."
Pet supply Mesh Rectangle Gas Font

That poor budgie! It looks like it's just a baby, and it's in one of the tiniest cages I've ever seen. This guy doesn't like it because it's too scared or nervous to chirp and move around, or too lonely, or too sad. He wants to get rid of it so he can get another bird that he can just...I don't know what. Keep in a small cage until it's not what he wants anymore and get rid of it?

I'm so sad and so angry. I've already messaged to see if it's still available, what age, and if it's been tamed. Picture below...gird your heart. I wasn't expecting to get another budgie, but here we are.

Super Moderator
Did you get the bird, from what I can see in the picture it looks like the wings are clipped, I cannot see the head well enough to see if any of the baby bars are still there. Sadly many people get animals and when they do not meet their unrealistic expectations decide to get rid of them.馃槩

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Cody It's only been an hour since I inquired (I had to convince my spouse, who was opposed to getting another birb until she saw this one's need). No reply yet.

I'm buying 2 flight cages for my current budgies this week, but I was also going deck the halls by decking out the cages with new toys and perches. I was going to invest in some new soakable dehydrated chop, some Harrison's high potency, Nutriberries, etc. But for the sake of a new budgie in need, I can drastically cut down that budget. I would instead get this bird in to see a vet for a check-up, if this guy has owned it more than a week or so.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still haven't received a response. This guy asked for a dog to be donated to him on the same night he posted his budgie for adoption.

I've replied again more directly, saying I'll pay in cash and pick her up tonight. I hope he replies. I don't want this bird to be snake food or something. 馃槹

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
So, she is my budgie now. 馃檪 I've named her Blueberry. I don't know how old she is. I think I still see a few bars, so maybe 4-5 months? Any have a different estimate?

The cage is closed with a piece of yarn. There was a rusty piece of wire on top. There's poop in her water bowl.

Her wings look clipped, am I correct? I think her tail looks clipped, too? Is that even a thing people do? Otherwise, someone or something tore off part of her tail feathers.

The guy I got her from had only owned her for ONE DAY. He bought her from the one pet store in town known for mistreating their animals and selling kittens. He said he got her for his male budgie, but the male budgie didn't like her being in his cage. He didn't keep her because she bit him "really hard" and he was told she was handfed.

She doesn't seem fearful of hands outside the cage, so she may very well have been handfed or tamed once upon a time.

I'm going to wait an hour before cleaning her cage and feeding her. I don't want to just reach in right away. I'll use millet when I do. Any other suggestions, please? @Cody @FaeryBee

Wood Pet supply Building Composite material Snow
Fence Snow Wood Baluster Handrail
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle hub Grille Fence
Bird Beak Pet supply Mammal Parrot
Bird Vertebrate Beak Feather Fence

I bought her remaining food. Does this look like cockatiel food, with the fatty sunflower seeds and the corn?
Food Mixture Ingredient Recipe Cuisine

Administrator
Thank goodness you were able to rescue Blueberry!
She is very fortunate to have you to love, care for her and provide her with a safe forever home.

Her tail looks as though she "blew" the feathers. This can happen when a budgie is grabbed and it stresses so much it drops all the tail feathers at once.
They will come back when she molts as will the flight feathers on her clipped wings.

She seems to be holding one toe up. She may have pressure sores on that foot from the sand T-perch she is sitting on.
I'd suggest not using that when you move her to her new cage. Is the other perch a sand or concrete perch as well or is it plastic?
I see there are no natural wood perches in that poor excuse of a cage.

Yes, that food looks like it is either cockatiel food or food for a parrot larger than a budgie.
You can start her on a quality seed mix. When it comes to seed, budgies will usually eat a different brand when you present it to them.

Make sure when you clean her cage you move slowly and talk calmly and reassuringly to her the entire time.

Blueberry isn't a baby -- she's at least 6 months old (if not older) and is either coming into condition or coming out of condition at this point in time.

I'm so glad you've brought Blueberry home with you! You are a star!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, @FaeryBee . I will take her to the vet this week to get checked out. It's an exotic vet who only takes patients a few days a week. Hopefully we don't have to wait long for an appointment. The closest avian vet is a teaching veterinary hospital 2 hours away.

I have wooden platform perches that are unused. I think I also have a brand new natural perch.

She will have to stay in this cage for a couple weeks (I will clip it closed more securely). I just ordered 2 flight cages tonight, so she can take one of my existing budgie's cages when the flight cages arrive around December 16-December 24th.

I will go to the store tomorrow to buy her a water silo. For tonight, I'll wash and use a seed cup that has hooks. I'll get some small toys, too.

She's so calm. I fed a piece of millet through the food hole and it landed less than an inch from her and she only backed up a step.

I'm playing budgie sounds and she's grinding her beak now. I think we'll all be okay.

Super Moderator
So glad you were able to get her, she's a pretty little girl, make sure you quarantine her, she should not have contact with other birds Quarantine IS Necessary! I agree with what FaeryBee has said, she must be comfortable if she's beak grinding, she can now have a good nights rest. :sleep:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, @Cody. She'll be quarantining in the living room while I do school, and in the bedroom at night. We have cats, and since she can't be in the bird room with a latching door, I'll have to lock up the cats anytime we leave the house.

What's the minimum quarantine period? It's much safer in the bird room, where she can have flight time (if she can be handled).

Super Moderator
Minimum is 30 days, some people do more, but if something is going to surface the thinking is that it will show within the 30 day period. When you go to the vet you can ask what tests they recommend, if nothing is found to be out of order on the physical exam some vets will not suggest any tests if you don't bring it up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She was SO good and calm while I (heavily) cleaned the cage and replaced her perches, gave her toys, and fed her.

She hasn't eaten yet.
Here is her temporary set-up. I've decided to buy her a new cage tomorrow, because this one's rusty.

Wood Mesh Motor vehicle Pet supply Building

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Super Moderator
I would be concerned about the paint on the wood parts, when I look at the pictures it looks hand made. Have you looked on Amazon for a cage?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@Cody Yes, I have ordered 2 flight cages off Amazon tonight. I can order her a third one, but it wouldn't arrive until December 16 to December 24. I desperately need to get her in a new cage tomorrow, because the bars of this one are rusty, and the base is taped together.

In my local area, almost 90% of the larger cages are tall instead of wide. The pet stores just don't stock flight cages. I don't know what to do. Just go with the biggest, widest one I can find?

Here, for example, is one that looks about 18"x18". It's hard to find bigger ones that aren't $300.

Cage

Here's a big one for $100. The gray one. Do those bars look close enough for a budgie? I'd estimate that's less than 1/2 inch.

Gray Cage

Administrator
You are doing SUCH a great job in ensuring little Blueberry is safe and secure with a new cage.
The Gray Cage you linked looks fine.
When are the two new light cages you ordered supposed to arrive?
If it is soon, would you be able to wait and put Blueberry in the cage your current budgies are occupying rather than buying a new cage for her?
How large is the cage Sunny and Kiwi are currently in? Would it be large enough and safe for Blueberry?

I'd play music for her instead of budgie sounds, by the way. ;)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.