Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just joined the forum today seeking for some help and advice about my current situation.

I have a six year old budgie and lately he has been acting quite odd. Firstly he started to sleep a lot more than usual, very fluffed up, doesn't eat everything and sometimes he seems to drop the food at the bottom of the cage (which then results into him being hungrier so I end up hand feeding the seeds to him) and sometimes he sneezes. But his feces is green (I assume that is normal I hope).

Today more symptoms have shown up and from the looks of it it could be face mites (images attached below). Is there any medicine that I can give him? If it's face mites I have seen that ivermectin is recommended but I always want to make sure because it could be that my budgie could have something else. I don't know if it could be anything else but right now as you can see in the image the parts affected are the on the left side (the dark thing) of the beak and on the bottom of the beak(it's barely visible). And as much as I wish to take my bird to the vet my parents won't let me take him to a vet due to other situations occurring at the current time so I thought that I'd try my best to help him myself, you know? (also there is more text in the bottom below the pictures keep scrolling down please!)
Bird Beak Feather Close-up Terrestrial plant
Bird Eye Beak Organism Feather
Eye Beak Toy Yellow Petal

Also for the images I know that I had taken the pic with the flash on but if I didn't then it wouldn't be visible and I found out about these new symptoms (the face mites have developed today apparently or they were barely visible earlier) today after I came home from college so I'd thought that it's best to check it out today. I hope you understand!

Please if you know what this is either if it's a mite or something else that can be treated via some medications or treatments it would be greatly appreciated. Any help would mean a lot!
Thank you for your time!

·
Super Moderator
5,284 Posts
If he is very fluffed up he is ill, green feces are not usually normal, can you post a picture of them? I do not see any indication of scaly face mites, if he had mites you would see a whitish material on the beak and cere, I do however see something that looks like a scab or some brownish material on the side of the beak, what is that and how long has it been there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If he is very fluffed up he is ill, green feces are not usually normal, can you post a picture of them? I do not see any indication of scaly face mites, if he had mites you would see a whitish material on the beak and cere, I do however see something that looks like a scab or some brownish material on the side of the beak, what is that and how long has it been there?
Oh hey thanks for responding!
I have attached some pictures of his most recent feces I am starting to notice that they might be potentially smaller I am not sure though. Sorry if its a bit blurry I don't have the best of cameras in terms of focusing (scroll down beneath the images for more details please!)
Insect Circle Flooring Pest Wood
Insect Pest Parasite Macro photography Stain
Plant Wood Flooring Circle Ball

As for the scab/brownish material I truly don't know what it is I asked here in hopes of someone knowing too! And today it started to show but it could have been hiding beneath the cheek feathers for quite sometime. And I also don't know what that below the beak is either sadly.
Do you know anything what this could be since there is a chance that it might not be face mites and maybe how can I possibly treat him please?
Thank you for your time!

·
Super Moderator
5,284 Posts
The pictures are very blurry but from what I can see the color is off, if the green in the droppings are not influenced by something the bird ate it can be a sign of a GI tract issue or liver issue. If the droppings are getting smaller then he is not eating enough and the sleepiness and loss of appetite are all signs that he is unwell. There is no way we can diagnosis what the problem is and the best thing you can do is to consult a vet, here is some info that might help you locate one Locating an Avian Vet//On-Line Avian Veterinarian Help

·
Administrator
58,954 Posts
What is your budgie's name?

Here are a couple of options for Veterinarians for your budgie.

Il-Veterinarju - Small and Exotic Pet Clinic
134 Triq Il-Kungress Ewkaristiku, Il-Mosta MST 9035, Malta

Dr Luke Sultana is a small animal Veterinarian practicing in Malta, with a special interest in Avian and Exotic animal medicine.
Apart from home visits, he attends numerous consult practices around the island. He can be contacted on 79822141

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian
Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah
The pictures are very blurry but from what I can see the color is off, if the green in the droppings are not influenced by something the bird ate it can be a sign of a GI tract issue or liver issue. If the droppings are getting smaller then he is not eating enough and the sleepiness and loss of appetite are all signs that he is unwell. There is no way we can diagnosis what the problem is and the best thing you can do is to consult a vet, here is some info that might help you locate one Locating an Avian Vet//On-Line Avian Veterinarian Help
Oh thanks I thought he had some infection or some sort which results that scab on the beak there. I think it could be budgie lice too because a few moments ago I was cleaning his water and found one very small insect so it might be tick or lice too. Or it could be a coincidence or could be another problem.

About the vet I'll try convincing my parents once again to take him but I don't think there is any hope sadly. That is the reason why I'd thought I'd might get help here. For him not eating enough I'll make sure to handfeed him the seeds more often so maybe that will be reduced and he'll start pooping normal again. And since it cannot be identified I guess I'll try researching more maybe giving him some panadols (paracetamol in other countries) mixed with water might help or something and maybe I'll try using the anti lice spray for birds on his feathers that might help or maybe also some Epsom salt and gently tap on the scab because I can't afford a vet or to take him on my own either. I hope I get to find something useful that might be of help maybe someone else might know too who knows :(

Anyway thank you for the help I really appreciate it for answering at such a short time!

·
Administrator
58,954 Posts
Do NOT use any type of anti-lice spray or him feathers. You may get it in the budgie's eyes or nares.
Additionally, the budgie will ingest the spray when cleaning it's feathers and that is not a good thing!

If he has mites then he needs to be treated with ivermectin spot-on treatment or Scatt for birds.
Scatt for Birds
Look on-line to see if it can be shipped to your country.

I do not see signs of scaly mites in the pictures you posted.
All I can see is there seems to be something brown to one side of the budgie's beak in the first picture -- what is that?

Is that what you are referencing as a scab?

You should not self-administer ANY medication to your budgie such as "panadols".
If you are unable to take your budgie to a veterinarian then you should contact one of the On-Line Avian Veterinarians for professional assistance.

Using Epsom Salts on your bird and "tapping on the scab" (whatever you mean by that?) is NOT recommended.

Your budgie needs more than just seed to have a healthy diet. Did you read the links in the post I made above in this thread?

Any pet, no matter the cost or whether it was "free", is a living breathing creature.
When a person "adopts" a pet, that individual assumes the responsibility of caring for that animal.

The pet is totally dependent on the owner for everything, including receiving the medical care and attention it deserves if it becomes ill or injured.
Those who believe that the expense of having a pet ends should be only the cost of the pet plus food, housing and toys are leaving out the most important part of the equation.

Giving the animal adequate medical care is integral part of providing it with a safe and loving home.

Diet is ALWAYS a huge part in the health of any animal as is the cleanliness of the animal's housing conditions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah

Oh thanks I thought he had some infection or some sort which results that scab on the beak there. I think it could be budgie lice too because a few moments ago I was cleaning his water and found one very small insect so it might be tick or lice too. Or it could be a coincidence or could be another problem.

About the vet I'll try convincing my parents once again to take him but I don't think there is any hope sadly. That is the reason why I'd thought I'd might get help here. For him not eating enough I'll make sure to handfeed him the seeds more often so maybe that will be reduced and he'll start pooping normal again. And since it cannot be identified I guess I'll try researching more maybe giving him some panadols (paracetamol in other countries) mixed with water might help or something and maybe I'll try using the anti lice spray for birds on his feathers that might help or maybe also some Epsom salt and gently tap on the scab because I can't afford a vet or to take him on my own either. I hope I get to find something useful that might be of help maybe someone else might know too who knows :(

Anyway thank you for the help I really appreciate it for answering at such a short time!
Oh m living stars! Hopefully the little tyke snaps out of it and gets back to normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.