Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We are bird lovers family and on a botanic garden walk this week I spotted more blue and white than what I am used to seeing. I knew right away it was a parakeet. I tried approaching it and chasing after it, but had to abort mission due to kids school pickups. Nonetheless, this bird was in an area that is frequently visited by a hawk pair and I just had to go back and see if I can be more lucky with a bit more time on my hands. The budgie was on the grass close to where I first spotted it. My daughter and I chased after it among the small trees that it flew to and from. We did this for about an hour and finally it came to be okay to climb onto my finger when I offered it a bunch of the grassy plant we first spotted it nibbling on. It took three tries and I was able to catch it with a net I had while holding it on my finger.
We got it home and got it into a temporary terrarium we had at home while I went and got a good size cage and food ( fortified mix).
I am in the process of researching and reading, and looking for lost bird posts ( none so far).
The thing that is strange to me is that I was able to get this bird to tweet to me and get it onto my hand and catch it in the big wild open, whereas right now it is impossible to catch it in the big cage it is in. We do not want to stress it and he ( we think it’s male) will not come. I understand he needs time to get used to the new setup, to his new home and to us.
Until we tame it there is no way to get it to the vet.
He seems to love when we play budgie sounds from youtube. Is that okay? It seems like a bird radio kind of thing :)
I want to get the best food possible, could you please recommend what pellet food is best to try first?
I just got the fortified food from petco but it does have artificial colors, which I would like to avoid in future choices.
My two daughters love birds and always wanted a pet bird. Having had a cat who was mistreated while in care of caregiver when I was on vacation, I was very reluctant to allow a pet, for fear of what to do with it while we go away.
Now here we are, with this little blue gift, and while we are starting to care for it I would appreciate any info on what people generally do while going away for a period of 8 days or so.
Thank you so much for help and tips!

this is Bisbee
Bird Plant Small animal food Twig Ingredient

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)
He ( yay, glad to know what gender he is) loved the plant he is pictured with. But I took it away as there is high risk of it being treated with lawn treatments, likely not parrot friendly.
He is scared of spray millet, and mostly anything else. Loves piano music !

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
He’s going to need time to settle in. I recommend getting an appropriately sized cage with some natural wood perches and toys (with a high quality food of course) and giving him some time.
Don’t isolate him in a room by himself, put the cage somewhere in a common area where he can get a sense of his new home and his new terrestrial flock mates :)

and playing music for him is great! Birds don’t care for silence..

A vet visit really is important, if you can find a good way to get him in a travel cage. Some of the staff here will have some suggestions for you, I’ve no doubt.

please check out the “stickies” in each ofthe sub forums, they are a wealth of info!

·
Registered
Iris and Dawn
39 Posts
Totally a boy, and a handsome one at that, but judging by the clear white ring in his eyes, I'd say he's over a year old, it usually takes a while to develop permanently.

Before you feed him any sort of plant, make sure you know for sure what species it is and check it's not toxic to budgies. Dill is a huge success with my girls, as are lettuce, spinach and cillantro. I use Harrison's pellets; they girls gulp them down and they have no artificial colouring. Zupreem is also a good brand with no added colours, though I have not tried it.

Budgies adore noise, be it "human" music, bird sounds or even just radio chatter/audiobook reading, especially the boys. Right now Dawn is singing to The Best of Baroque, and Iris will take over when I put symphonic metal in a bit. There's a chance that budgie sounds will make Bisbee go a little crazy with longing for a flock (emphasis on might), in which case you can switch to other bird sounds or music. He's probably going to sing even in silence when he gets more comfortable, boys are very verbal (which I really can't imagine because my girls mumble and chirp all the time when they're not preening, they even chirp in their sleep XD).

Just let him take his new home in, no reason to add stress for now, as long as he appears healthy. If his breathing is fine, no tail bobbing etc you can let him relax for a week before taking him to the vet's.

Best wishes to you all!

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
He is a beautiful adult male an as others have said was probably someone's pet that got out. Don't try to force him onto a pellet diet at first, because most birds do not recognize pellets as a food source it can take time getting them to accept them and unless he was eating them in his previous home he may not eat them. The Zupreem canary size pellets are accepted by many birds, and the size of them is small like a millet seed and easy to eat, don't be concerned that it says canary, the ingredients are the same as the larger size, it's just a difference in size. Most seed mixes now have some pellets in them and the bird may or may not eat them, I use Living World Premium Mix which I cannot find in any store so I have to order it onlinehttps://www.amazon.com/Living-World...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584138857533041&psc=1 I also have Higgins Vita Seed, this you can get at a Petco but not at Petsmart https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/higgins-vita-seed-parakeet-food. Offer him some veggies like broccoli, romaine lettuce or kale, if he was eating them in his prior home he should take to them again. As long as he is not showing any signs of illness you do no have to rush into a vet visit, many vets are still doing curbside only service because of the pandemic and it may take weeks to get an appointment, where are you located? If you are going away for 8 days you will need to find someone to care for the bird while you are away, some vets have boarding services but may require various disease testing before accepting a bird for boarding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for valuable information! I will order the pellet food, he may have had it in his previous home. We check about every food we would like to offer to him, he may have nibbled a bit on the hard boiled egg, but seemingly passed on the apple and lettuce for now.
It will take me a while to go through all the stickies, but I am so happy I found this trove of helpful information.
We put the egg in a separate small dish on the bottom of the cage, it looks like he may have taken bites but I am not sure. The lettuce I put into his seed mix container but he seemed scared of it. Knowing that he eats comfortably from his seed mix dish, where should i put his other, more human food? Lettuce, spinach, parsley, egg, maybe fruit. Cage floor on the plate, with his seed mix, or separate container? Sorry if this is obvious and I am just missing it.
He had the spray millet today that my daughter offered to him. He really seems to like her and call her or engage very actively with her. Interestingly she is the one that is a bird lover and always wanted a birdie at home. When she was a toddler she called the color red “cardinal”, and you all know why :)
We are north of Chicago Il. Hoping to figure out how to care for him when we can’t, in December. But we will take it day by day for now.
Can budgies handle car travel well?

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
Take a look at this so you will know what is safe and what is not to give in the way of veggies and fruits. Safe Foods for Budgies veggies are better because fruit has too much sugar in it. Also want to make you aware that birds have a very sensitive respiratory system and you should not be using aerosol sprays, room fresheners, perfumes, anything that creates smoke or fumes etc. around them, also fumes from non stick cookware (Teflon) can kill a bird quickly, we cannot detect the fumes but very dangerous for birds. You can clip leafy greens to the cage or you can chop them up and offer in a separate dish. It would be best to keep them off the bottom of the cage to avoid them getting soiled from droppings and seed hulls. Budgies react differently to car travel just based on their personality, I have had some that are very calm and some not. It is best to have a small travel cage or carrier while in the car, My birds are not in the car except to go to the vet and I use a small carrier you do not want the bird to be able to have a lot of space while traveling in a car.

·
Administrator
57,084 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

Thank you for rescuing this handsome boy!
You've been given excellent advice thus far.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
Iris and Dawn
39 Posts
I will order the pellet food, he may have had it in his previous home.
I was just about to say that. He seems to be well-taken care of, so he may have had pellets in the past. And you can always grind them and put the dust along with the seeds. If he's scared of a whole leaf of lettuce, just chop it into thin slices or pieces, it usually works. You can also offer dill, which is naturally thin and budgies love it. Dill and other grassy greens also encourage bathing if you throw them in the bathtub.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but he's probably more friendly towards your daughter because a child is smaller than an adult, and the poor things are so small. The fact that her voice is probably softer than an adult's must help as well.

As for car rides, it really depends on the bird. I drove out of Athens to get Dawn from her previous home, and she had zero issues for the entire one and a half hour trip, occasionally chirping to the music and passing motorbikes. Observe little blue when you take him to the vet, so you can see if he can come with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Take a look at this so you will know what is safe and what is not to give in the way of veggies and fruits. Safe Foods for Budgies veggies are better because fruit has too much sugar in it. Also want to make you aware that birds have a very sensitive respiratory system and you should not be using aerosol sprays, room fresheners, perfumes, anything that creates smoke or fumes etc. around them, also fumes from non stick cookware (Teflon) can kill a bird quickly, we cannot detect the fumes but very dangerous for birds. You can clip leafy greens to the cage or you can chop them up and offer in a separate dish. It would be best to keep them off the bottom of the cage to avoid them getting soiled from droppings and seed hulls. Budgies react differently to car travel just based on their personality, I have had some that are very calm and some not. It is best to have a small travel cage or carrier while in the car, My birds are not in the car except to go to the vet and I use a small carrier you do not want the bird to be able to have a lot of space while traveling in a car.
Thank you for mentioning that. We are fragrance free because of an asthmatic child, so in a way I am very familiar with sensitive respiratory systems. Good reminder about Telfon! We only have a couple of green pans that seem to be bird safe (no teflon), otherwise stainless.
I got all food off the ground level. We have separate container for fresh green, none of which are appealing to Mr Bisbee right now.
I was honestly considering (car) traveling with the bird, but just common sense dictates agains it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was just about to say that. He seems to be well-taken care of, so he may have had pellets in the past. And you can always grind them and put the dust along with the seeds. If he's scared of a whole leaf of lettuce, just chop it into thin slices or pieces, it usually works. You can also offer dill, which is naturally thin and budgies love it. Dill and other grassy greens also encourage bathing if you throw them in the bathtub.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but he's probably more friendly towards your daughter because a child is smaller than an adult, and the poor things are so small. The fact that her voice is probably softer than an adult's must help as well.

As for car rides, it really depends on the bird. I drove out of Athens to get Dawn from her previous home, and she had zero issues for the entire one and a half hour trip, occasionally chirping to the music and passing motorbikes. Observe little blue when you take him to the vet, so you can see if he can come with.
We are trying dill, parsley, romaine and spinach. He is getting more comfortable so maybe at some point he will try it.
Thank you for all your advice!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He is getting more comfortable in his cage. He disliked the plastic toys we placed in the cage, so we took them out. We spent some time making him perches and ring swings out of willow branches and he likes them a lot.

He is now in a 25 x 32 x 20 cage. Would a 30 x 18 x 18 cage be better?
There is a chance we would like to get him a male companion but that would hot happen until after our December travel.

I pinpointed on the map possible places he escaped from, guessing he did not come from far away and would likely not cross a super busy highway. We drove around to check if there are any signs posted but there were none. I guess this now makes him officially out pet.

I still have lots of research to do. How does one entertain a bird when the house is people free for a longer period? He is not interested in bathing in water container on the ground. Do we spray him with water? We did and he liked it but not sure if it is okay.
I need to clean the cage and in order to do this he needs to be out of there. Right now he will not be touched and it does not seem to be feasible any time soon. What in the world do I do?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Budgies can do long distance travel.
When I picked mine up from the breeder (individually by the way!) It was an 8 hour trip one way.
Additionally, when I moved from VA to FL the trip was 13+ hours.

Long Distance Traveling with your Budgie
Well then, maybe the idea of taking him with us is not so bad after all. We will have to see how he is doing by December

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
As far as a cage goes, the bigger the better, however it is better to have a cage where the horizontal measurement is the larger, not the vertical, so keep that in mind. If you decide to get him a buddy be sure to observe quarantine rules, you will need to house the new bird in a separate cage in a separate room for a minimum of 30 days. You can leave a radio or TV on for your current bird while you are not in the house and that will help him to feel not so alone, have you named him yet? If he is not interested in bathing you can mist him it is best to spray from above and let the mist fall on him, do not spray directly at him. You will need to move slowly when you clean the cage, what does the cage look like, does it have a slide out tray at the bottom?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was just reading the forum posts and I think I have a long way to go before I even consider a budgie friend.
The cage is 24.8 x 20.8 with the height of 32. It has a funny shape that I do not love but it was he biggest cage available at Petco on the day I got there.
i could put him in a 30 x 18, with height of 18 cage that I could get.
Or I am willing to go with a recommendation for a one or two budgie sized cage.
This little guy, his name is Bisbee ( turquoise mine in az, since his color s so turquoise) was soaring from tree to tree when I spotted him. They were small catalpa and crabapples, so not big trees, but I can’t help but feel a bit sad about what he has now vs what he had in the wild open. Except for the fact that he would not have survived there.
I have a feeling that he is scared of me, but I can live with it, knowing that I saved him from becoming a hawk snack. Hopefully with time he will trust me.
The cage has a metal grate at the bottom ( this does not slide out) and then a solid bottom that does slide out. I just placed paper towels on the lowest level. I think I should have removed the metal grate and just line the lowest level with paper, then put some seeds there for ground foraging.

The idea I have for getting the bird out of the cage is having him climb onto my finger and taking him out of cage. I never thought of just opening the door and letting him out.
I remember a friend having a budgie who got stuck in a tight place and broke her wing, long time ago when I was in high school.

Also, we do have a waffle maker. I do not know if it s Teflon, but it is non stick. Does it mean I cannot use it?

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
Take a look at this cage, it is fine for 2 birds and the cage can be lifted off the stand if you want to place it on something else https://www.amazon.com/Parakeet-Coc...prefix=mccage+flight+cage,aps,169&sr=8-1&th=1, you will need to order this online I have never seen it in any store, you can do a search for flight cage and see what works for you, make sure you look at the bar spacing, it should be no more than 1/2 inch, It can take months to get a bird comfortable with you and in his case you don't know what his prior life experience has been that may have influenced his behavior. If you let him out right now be prepared for him to possibly fly erratically bumping into things as he is not familiar with the space, all windows and mirrors should be covered, no open toilets, and keep him out of the kitchen. Take a look at the attached, on page 8 is info about Teflon https://nilesanimalhospital.com/files/2012/05/Household-Hazards-2013.pdf

·
Registered
45 Posts
What have I started with the waffle iron hahah :p Just look up your model and read the descriptions.

Appleflowers, we're kind of in the same boat. Have you tried putting up pictures/signs of the bird in the neighborhoods, or talk to any petstores to let them know you've found the bird? I feel bad, too, especially when mine went through the phase "i want out now" yesterday, and then I wonder whether bonding is really just another form of birdie stockholm syndrome.

Take a look at some of the training/taming stickies in this forum, and watch some videos on youtube - it's a bit overwhelming, there will be conflicting info, but from what I gather, there's no need to rush it. They suggest letting him out of the cage in a small space first, and just be patient and give him time (I read some do it in tents or under a table with a cover all the way around).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts