Talk Budgies Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
57,031 Posts
Budgies need a minimum of two weeks to settle into their new home and you should not be trying to touch or tame them at this time. They are often submissive initially because they are terrified.
You can cover the top and three sides of the cage to help them feel more secure. Play music or the TV for them when you are not around during the day.

Taming and Bonding is all about helping your budgie learn to trust you and it takes a great deal of time and patience on your part.
You should never grab your budgie or force him to be touched.
To bond with your budgie, you need to build his trust in you.
He will have to learn over time that you will not hurt him, grab him and try to force him to allow you to hold him .

To build your budgie's’ trust, sit by his cage and read, talk or sing quietly to him for a period of at least 10-15 minutes, 3 or 4 times day.
After about a week, rest your hand on the outside of the cage when you talk to him so him will learn that your hand is safe and will not hurt him.

After a week or so of resting your hand on the outside of the cage, rest your hand inside the cage when you talk.

Don’t make sudden moves, don’t try to touch him.
Let the budgie get used to the idea that the hand is now in his safe place and not harming him.

Aftera couple of weeks, begin moving your hand slowly toward your bird. If he becomes agitated, stop moving your hand and just hold very still until he calms down.
When he are comfortable with your hand near him, you can offer them a bit of millet or a few seeds.
I like to put the seeds or a millet ball in the palm of my hand. Then allow the budgie to decide when he is brave enough to step over to your palm to get them.

Always work at your bird's pace.
Move slowly and talk reassuringly and calmly to him whenever you interact with him .

Some budgies enjoy bathing and others don't.
There are various things you can try. You may also find he ignores the bath for a long time and then suddenly one will decide to try it and then he'll like it!

I'd suggest you either put a shallow bowl with water in or on top the cage or get a Lix-it Bath to attach to the cage and provide him the option of bathing every few days.

You can also try placing a few fresh basil leaves or some lettuce leaves in the water. That may interest him in the bath.

Some budgies love to rub against or roll on wet leaves.
You can hang wet romaine lettuce or kale leaves in the cage or place them in a shallow dish in or on the cage to see if your budgie likes them.

Some budgies enjoy being very lightly misted with room temperature water.
Do NOT squirt the water directly on the budgie.
Aim it up into the air and let the water mist settle down over the budgie gently.
You should be able to easily tell if he likes it or doesn't want any part of it.
Some budgies do enjoy playing under a light trickle of water in the sink.
Other budgies simply don't enjoy bathing which is fine as all budgies are cleaning and oiling their feathers when they preen.

If your budgie is shaking his head, tail and feet after he’s been in the water, that’s quite normal. It’s like a dog shaking after it gets wet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you all again for help and information.

Cody, I really like that cage! I think I will let Bisbee settle a bit more in the one we have now and then get the really big one in a month or so.

I will not be letting him out of the cage anytime soon. It does not look like he is ready and neither are we. At first I was thinking that because it was “doable” to get him to climb onto my hand after gently chasing him for about an hour “in the wild”, that would be easily repeated in home situation. But either I scared him by actually catching him, or the new cage/ new home situation made him way more shy.

I was able to clean the cage by just changing the liner paper. I can’t clean the bottom grate, or remove it, which is what I’d like to do, until there is a way to get birdie out of the cage.

I found on local social media, while still checking if someone is looking for a budgie, that someone else noticed him in the botanic garden the day before we spotted and rescued him.
Sadly I noticed that the local site only had “found” bird notices. Not a single person is looking for an escapee. My daughters are very happy no one is looking for him. I just want to be sure.

vrabec, we make more pancakes than waffles. I think I can live with this. Looks like just using the device normally should be fine though, it’s looks like the overheating causes the trouble.
I did not feel like posting signs. I think I really want to take care of this birdie. I was/ am looking to make sure no one is looking for him.

I talked to the pet store that is just across the highway from where we got him. They said they did not lose any budgies. Could it happen during delivery process though? Who knows…

We play music to the budgie and we play YouTube budgie sounds. Today Bisbee had an excellent day. He was chirping away in a way that surprised all of us. He tweets sharply when he seems to want someone to come over, and chirps away sweetly when no one is looking. He notices right away when we try to peek, and quiets down. I guess he is maybe slowly finding a way to feel at home.

Faerybee, we do light cover ( light fabric) on top of cage for the day still, just so it feels a bit sheltered. We add a dark blanket for the night. He had a really nice day today, was very chirpy which cannot but make you feel he must be somewhat happy!
He is still not comfortable with my hand in cage, which is okay. He used to fly away when I just tried to open the door. I feel that already he knows I will not reach for him. Instead of panicking and flying away he just watches, or turns around ready to fly but does not. Tiny steps toward the mutual understanding that he is safe :)
He accepts my daughter and her gentler ways more.

As for the bath we removed the water container and did not spray him today. spraying right at him did not feel ok. Even though he seemed to enjoy it. Might try with warmer water more from the top. We have a mister ( my orchid mister) that he looked like he liked.

I read a lot about budgie bobbing his/ her tail. This budgie seems to move his tail most of the time, is it normal? It is like the tail is gently shaking all of the time. Just slightly.

Again, I feel so grateful for all the help and information I was able to access. I still have so much more to go trough. I am so glad the birdie gave us such positive feedback today ( happy chirped) , it felt like he might be okay where he is.

·
Super Moderator
4,040 Posts
Sounds like he is settling in well. A slight movement, bobbing up and down, of the tail is normal and coincides with the breathing, however, if it becomes too much, that can indicate a respiratory issue or abdominal issue. If you are concerned about the movement and can catch a video of it we can let you know if it looks normal or not.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Bisbee seemed to yawn quite a bit this afternoon, which was strange and I was wondering if he was okay. He calmed down and did not yawn anymore but I did not even know birds could yawn, seeing his extending beak was concerning at first.
He joins happily chirping when anyone plays piano or any other instrument. It really was like he was singing along to the music.
In the evening, he jumps onto a high willow ring and we get that this is his sleep time. Today he even jumped on to of the highest ring.
His cage covers are not super dark, I am sure they let some light through. Would that contribute to him not getting a good night sleep?

·
Super Moderator
4,040 Posts
He may have been yawning or he may have been adjusting his crop. The crop is an enlarged section in the esophagus where seed or whatever they are eating is stored and slowly released for digestion. When they are yawning the mouth will open and close just like us, when they are adjusting you will see the mouth open and usually a little stretch or twist of the neck. Budgies will nap during the day when it is light around them, so the light cover is fine, I keep a nightlight on for my birds in case they have a night fright, it makes it easier for them to reorient themselves.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think he probably was adjusting his crop. It looks like something between yawning and gagging, and his beak extends almost horizontally. Is it fine if he does it a lot at times or should I be concerned?

He spends most time on perches, branches and willow ring swings in the middle of cage. He goes to sleep on the very top, just under the roof of the cage. He never goes to the bottom of the cage. It is a grate and there is a shallow plastic container with water there in case he would like a bath. Does that sound okay? I never see him drink, he has a water container we change every morning. I see him eat his food, but didn’t see him take one sip.
He will also not touch any real food we offer, no lettuce, parsley, basil, cilantro, spinach or dill.

Is it best if the cage bottom is solid and paper lined? Bisbee has no interest in toys we hang but maybe something placed on the bottom would interest him. Or not? Is the bottom of cage mostly a bathroom/ droppings space or should it be a useable surface for them?

·
Super Moderator
4,040 Posts
When they adjust the crop it can sometimes be several times in a row. Going to sleep at the highest point in the cage is quite normal. Some birds will go to the bottom of the cage if there is something there they want like seed, some people will scatter seeds at the bottom, if the bottom is solid and not a grate, to encourage foraging behavior, but otherwise from the bird's perspective there is no reason to go there. If you see him sitting at the bottom of the cage doing nothing and looking puffed that is an indication of a very ill bird. It is not necessary for him to bathe so if you want to remove the water you have at the bottom that is not a problem, maybe once he becomes more comfortable he may be more interested. Budgies do not drink much water and I am not surprised that you have not seen him drink, as long as there is fresh water available he will drink if he wants it. It is possible they he was never accustomed to eating any veggies in his life prior to you finding him and does not realize that what you are offering is food, don't give up. Placing paper at the bottom of the cage is fine, you should be looking at the droppings on a daily basis, a change in the droppings can be one of the first signs of an illness and is something all bird owners should be doing. Are his droppings currently normal looking, for a budgie that is eating primarily seed they would be white in the center with a dark green almost black coil around the white. The white portion is the urates and the dark portion is the fecal part. Post a picture if you are unsure if they look normal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Cody, thank you again. Its really reassuring to know that certain behaviors are completely normal and to know what to look for.
I think his droppings look just like what you described and are pretty much consistent in what they look like.
I will try posting some pictures soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Bisbee has been with us for two weeks today. I want to catch him and kiss him, but he is not that comfortable. Yesterday we added some natural wood items to his cage and he was still very uncomfortable and spooked during the process, flying around the cage. He calmed down soon after the process was over. I was reading some stickies about possibly covering the bottom grate with paper and changing twice daily ,but that would still be so scary for him. I still put my hand into the cage at least twice daily to get him used to that.
He is familiar with his food that we change daily. I was wondering if it is better to give him food as meals, a morning and evening meal, or have a bowl there available at all times?
I feel that he is still so scared, of us when we try to poke into the cage, of any toys and items placed into the cage, even of green leaves that I put there.
When I found him in the wild he was on the trees and scavenging on the grass for some non grassy plant that was of interest to him.
Is it possible that the act of me catching him traumatized him and resulted in him so very shy of close contact?
I had a few pieces of the plant he liked in my hand and he climbed onto my hand, after which I caught him with a net I had in my other hand. He was under the net until we got in the car and into a terrarium I had there.
I have high hopes that we can tame him and that he can enjoy toys in his cage.
He likes sounds and music, that’s for sure!

He is okay with a hand placed into the cage, when the hand is not trying to do anything like move things around or come too close to him. I can see that he is a bit tense and watchful but does allow the hand in the cage.
His breathing seems okay, he can breathe faster after some flying around the cage but mostly it is normal.
When he opens and closes his beak, while not eating, making not sounds ( not chirping) but still making funny noises, like tiniest cracking noises - does that seem like a comfortable, or uncomfortable state of being? He does that when I am close to the cage and talk to him, and I have no idea if that scares or comforts him.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
He is okay with a hand placed into the cage, when the hand is not trying to do anything like move things around or come too close to him. I can see that he is a bit tense and watchful but does allow the hand in the cage.
His breathing seems okay, he can breathe faster after some flying around the cage but mostly it is normal.
When he opens and closes his beak, while not eating, making not sounds ( not chirping) but still making funny noises, like tiniest cracking noises - does that seem like a comfortable, or uncomfortable state of being? He does that when I am close to the cage and talk to him, and I have no idea if that scares or comforts him.
Sounds like what is known as beak grinding, and it’s a very good thing.
cats purr, budgies do this. It’s a way of showing contentment, usually right before falling asleep

·
Super Moderator
4,040 Posts
As has been indicated, beak grinding is done when the bird is content, sometimes it looks like they are chewing something and will sometimes make little sounds. If he gets nervous when you are close and the beak is opening and closing he may be panting which is a sign of being nervous, often when they are panting they also become very skinny looking. How much food are you putting in his food dish and can you tell if he is picking and choosing only certain items and leaving others, what is in the mix you are feeding? Bisbee may have not have been a tamed bird before you caught him so his nervousness is very normal and even if he was he is now in a new home with new people. It can take months to get a bird to be comfortable with you, unlike cats and dogs that usually warm up to you sooner.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited by Moderator)
We fill his container with about 1 cm depth of food and change it daily. He does not eat all of it. He sort of nibbles on his food here and there. He also has stsinless steel bowl with greens but completely ignores it. Today I clipped broccoli to the side of cage but it also was ignored.
Window Wood Fence Glass Handrail

Ingredient Recipe Food Cuisine Wood

He does not eat the colorful pellets

·
Super Moderator
4,040 Posts
It's a good thing he is not eating all that seed as it would be too much for one bird for a day. No surprise he has not touched the pellets, I have found that the larger pellets are not as appealing as very small ones that are about the same size as a millet seed, not that any are really appealing :ROFLMAO: at least to my birds, but they will eat a bit of the Zupreem canary size.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Oh well, so what is the the normal amount of food offered daily? I would welcome tips. The first few days we filled that container, so this is much less than that. He does not eat all of it, and I change it to make sure there is no way it would become old and moldy. I read info and the ideal ( I guess) percentages of seed/ pellet/ fresh food they should be taking but this little guy will not, so far, take any fresh food or any pellet food.

My question originally was whether it would be better to give him food as meals, morning and evening, or is it better to leave it available all day long to nibble at as they please ?

·
Administrator
57,031 Posts
Your budgie should get 1 1/2 teaspoons of seed per day.
You can divide that into two portions and offer one in the morning and one in the late afternoon if you prefer.
Leave the food in the cage all day. Don't give it and then take it out.

Have pellets in the cage 24/7.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

It can take several weeks (or even months) for budgies to decide to try a new food.
Fruit is high in sugar content so vegetables are actually healthier for your budgies with fruits given only occasionally (once or twice a week)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts