Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
488 Posts
You know what you did was wrong and you don't want to be told about it, you just want to know how to make Dove better again? Take her to the vet.

Once you've done that, ask your parents or yourself if you would be okay locking a family member away in a dark room for a week with not much interaction. If that's the only space for her, then you need to make space elsewhere for her that has natural light. The discomfort should be on your shoulders, not Dove's. You want to fix up the pet room, so you put Dove somewhere humane and deal with the temporary inconvenience of having to shuffle your personal life around.. Temporarily isn't 1 week. Temporarily is a few days at most. From the way you describe it, this is a room that receives next to no foot traffic, and you somehow seem to forget that you've got a living breathing creature depending on you.

Get her to a vet. Stop treating animals as an afterthought. Dove is a member of your family, treat her the same as you would anyone else. If you wouldn't be comfortable locking a 3 year old in a dark room for a week, then why is it okay to do it to a bird.

Finally, if you're not good at sticking to routines, stop giving Dove portioned amounts of food. Put enough food in her bowl for two days or more. But then you might just get even worse and forget to top it up every two days. Consider if owning a budgie is right for you, if not, give her to a bird sanctuary.

PS: If there's poop getting into her water, then her water bowl is too low. I put my girls' water bowls at their highest perch, so they can't sit above it and poop into it.

· Registered
488 Posts
You need to figure out a new bowl arrangement for your food and water. It shouldn't even be a possibility for Dove to splash water into her seed bowl. Put the bowls far apart from each other, with the water bowl at the highest perch to prevent it being pooped in. Food bowls should be put in such a way that they can't be pooped in either.

I also don't know if I read this right, but you don't empty out the bowl and clean it before putting in a new portion of seed for Dove? Bowls become a breeding ground for bacteria, you should be cleaning it out every time you change the food or water (especially so for the water bowl). Putting new seed on top of old seed is like the oldest "don't do this" sticky on this forum. I'm pretty sure putting new seed on top of soggy wet seed is even higher on that list of "what not to do".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts