Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Member of the Month August 2015
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met a lovely little lovebird at the local bird store where I tend to buy supplies.. She was there 'visiting' for a week while her owners from Montana are away.
Not knowing about lovebirds, I was surprised at her coloring: Her base body color is yellow. She had a mostly white face, with what I think are pied markings of green (the staff there called her lime green) with bright blue on her back and tail. Absolutely gorgeous.
She also was super sweet. Climbed right up on my finger and up my arm to snuggle a little. The staff say she is about 3 years old.
So... Faerybee... no chance for me to 'fall off the wagon'... couldn't have purchased her EVEN if I wanted to.
Bottom line.. is her color pattern common???

Thanks for reading. It was a very fun experience and made my day a little better.

·
Administrator
59,649 Posts
The species of the sweet little lovebird you met is Peach Faced Lovebird. The scientific name being "A-g-a-p-o-r-n-i-s roseicollis".

The mutation/color is "American Pied". These lovebirds have yellow plumage with varigated greens and greenish blues.

Good thing for you there was no chance in you falling off the wagon with that particular little lovie.
However, now that you've experienced how sweet they can be, I know it's only going to be a matter of time because.... Lovebirds Rule!

·
Registered
37,335 Posts
Judy I know what it is like to suffer from this terrible disease, I too think I have caught it. I find myself being drawn inexplicitly to the love bird cages when ever I have to go the pet store. I stand gazing and am mesmerised by them TRULY it is unexplainable :giggle:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Now there's a bit of scientific trivia that may explain what you guys are experiencing:
Recent research has shown that there may be a link between the love of cats and the presence of a certain parasite that they often carry. Basically, it may mean that cats infect humans with a parasite that is most of the time harmless yet may make people crazy about cats. The research team actually showed that people who carried the bug were much more likely to be addicted to cute cats videos on youtube (my mom certainly has it if I can judge from her Facebook profile).

I wonder if there's something similar going on with lovebirds?

As for myself, I must be carrying lots and lots of parasites because I am a sucker for all types of animals :p
(except cockroaches, I sympathise with them but don't feel any urge to keep them)

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
What a sweet story Judy, I'm glad the little lovebird managed to brighten your day even more! Lovies really are difficult to resist, they have such pretty and vibrant colours and overall sunny dispositions.
Maybe one day you will get to experience to the full extent the never ending joys of lovebird ownership.

Lovebirds Rule!! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.