Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Stubborn budgies...
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coco (female budgie) has been sitting idle like she is exhausted for 5-6 days now. And when I keep her cage outside, she becomes active suddenly unless its raining outside... Has she got cold? She also becomes puffy when I keep her inside. I, nowadays have made it my practice to keep the cage covered but she still is not okay... Pls help me. Oscar (male budgie) looks perfectly fine. He just takes some frequent naps, but he used to take it from the day I bought so no problem. And also Oscar and Coco have started moulting. Coco got her brown cere and Oscar got his blue cere but that's an old news because it has been like this for over a month now.

·
Registered
Mango , Kiwi and late berry
73 Posts
Coco (female budgie) has been sitting idle like she is exhausted for 5-6 days now. And when I keep her cage outside, she becomes active suddenly unless its raining outside... Has she got cold? She also becomes puffy when I keep her inside. I, nowadays have made it my practice to keep the cage covered but she still is not okay... Pls help me. Oscar (male budgie) looks perfectly fine. He just takes some frequent naps, but he used to take it from the day I bought so no problem.
Coco must be feeling bored. Provide both of them with many toys and yes keep their cage outside as much as you can. Frequent naps in budgies means illness. Does Oscar sleep properly in night ? If he is restless in night that means he has mites. Or lack of sleep.

EDITED BY MODERATOR: The information in this post is inaccurate.

Cages should only be outside if safely secured and supervised the entire time.
Frequent naps do not necessarily mean the budgie is ill. There are other things which must be taken into consideration
Just because a budgie is restless at night does not necessarily mean it has mites.

·
Registered
Stubborn budgies...
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coco must be feeling bored. Provide both of them with many toys and yes keep their cage outside as much as you can. Frequent naps in budgies means illness. Does Oscar sleep properly in night ? If he is restless in night that means he has mites. Or lack of sleep.
Yes Yes I change their toys every week. They love their new toys and also Oscar sleeps ok in the night and both of them wake up around 6 in the morning. They keep pecking at the same spot on one of their toys and have completely removed its paint 🤣🤣

·
Registered
151 Posts
It could just be the moult, it takes a lot of energy out of them. My two get sleepy when they're moulting because they're putting energy into growing all the new feathers. When you say you keep the cage covered, do you mean at night or?

·
Registered
Stubborn budgies...
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It could just be the moult, it takes a lot of energy out of them. My two get sleepy when they're moulting because they're putting energy into growing all the new feathers. When you say you keep the cage covered, do you mean at night or?
Whole day...

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Any time you are concerned about your budgie's health, you should be contacting an Avian Vet.
Members of the forum are not professionals and can only give "opinions" not a professional diagnosis.

Not all of the information posted by members in this thread is accurate and should not be followed.
Budgies cages should never be left outdoors unattended. They must be safely secured and should be supervised the entire time.
Frequent naps do not necessarily mean the budgie is ill. There are other things which must be taken into consideration
Just because a bird is restless at night does not necessarily mean it has mites.

ChickWas is correct in that budgies who are molting have less energy.

The cage should only be covered at night (top, three sides and 1/3 of the way down the front) and a night light should be used to prevent night frights.
If you are covering the cage the whole day you are totally confusing your budgies and making their condition worse.

Pecking and chewing of wood toys is normal.

Are the budgies eating, drinking and pooping normally?
Are they fluffed up when they are resting

Signs of Illness in Companion Birds

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Any pet, no matter the cost or whether it was "free", is a living breathing creature.
When a person"adopts" a pet, that individual assumes the responsibility of caring for that animal.
The pet is totally dependent on the owner for everything, including receiving the medical care and attention it deserves if it becomes ill or injured.

Those who believe that the expense of having a pet ends should be only the cost of the pet plus food, housing and toys are leaving out the most important part of the equation.
Giving the animal adequate medical care is integral part of providing it with a safe and loving home.

Diet is ALWAYS a huge part in the health of any animal as is the cleanliness of the animal's housing conditions.

Ensuring one provides proper vet care is part of the responsibility of pet ownership.
Many Avian Vets will help with working out a payment plan and you should always have an "emergency fund" put aside to cover unexpected veterinarian costs.
Save part of your allowance, any money you receive for gifts and any money you may earn.

Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense

·
Registered
Stubborn budgies...
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any time you are concerned about your budgie's health, you should be contacting an Avian Vet.
Members of the forum are not professionals and can only give "opinions" not a professional diagnosis.

Not all of the information posted by members in this thread is accurate and should not be followed.
Budgies cages should never be left outdoors unattended. They must be safely secured and should be supervised the entire time.
Just because a bird is restless at night does not necessarily mean it has mites.

ChickWas is correct in that budgies who are molting have less energy.

The cage should only be covered at night (top, three sides and 1/3 of the way down the front) and a night light should be used to prevent night frights.
If you are covering the cage the whole day you are totally confusing your budgies and making their condition worse.

Pecking and chewing of wood toys is normal.

Are the budgies eating, drinking and pooping normally?
Are they fluffed up when they are resting

Signs of Illness in Companion Birds

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Any pet, no matter the cost or whether it was "free", is a living breathing creature.
When a person"adopts" a pet, that individual assumes the responsibility of caring for that animal.
The pet is totally dependent on the owner for everything, including receiving the medical care and attention it deserves if it becomes ill or injured.

Those who believe that the expense of having a pet ends should be only the cost of the pet plus food, housing and toys are leaving out the most important part of the equation.
Giving the animal adequate medical care is integral part of providing it with a safe and loving home.

Diet is ALWAYS a huge part in the health of any animal as is the cleanliness of the animal's housing conditions.

Ensuring one provides proper vet care is part of the responsibility of pet ownership.
Many Avian Vets will help with working out a payment plan and you should always have an "emergency fund" put aside to cover unexpected veterinarian costs.
Save part of your allowance, any money you receive for gifts and any money you may earn.

Be Prepared for Veterinary Expense
Yeah everything is perfectly normal. They are puffing up when they are sleeping... And we don't usually leave them alone outside in the balcony unless we are perfectly sure they are safe.

As in they're in darkness the whole day? I'm confused what you mean by covered the whole day.
Not entirely whole day we keep them in light too but yeah when they are covered with the cloth, they are in darkness.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Do not leave your budgies unsupervised in the cage on your balcony. This is not safe for your birds.
I had a hawk try to come through a glass patio door after my budgies so imagine what a predator could do to birds in a cage on a balcony.

You need to have the cage uncovered during the day. Why are you covering it then? The cage should only be covered at night as indicated in my post above.

Again, if you think your budgie is sick, you need to contact an Avian Veterinarian as indicated previously.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.