Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Budgie Nut
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a few of you - this thread - that Ollie would not get iris rings, but in this photo you can see them clearly :S. Or am i seeing something different? I'm confused....:dunno: I noticed it when i uploaded this pic for BOTM competition.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's possible that he's a dominant pied, perhaps? Since recessive pie/DEC Budgies don't get iris rings =)

It's hard to determine whether a Budgie is DEC, recessive/dominant pied when they're younger because the iris rings don't usually lighten with Budgies until they're around 4-6 months (Give or take).

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Due to his lack of markings he is obviously a pied, there are various pied mutations all with differing markings or lack of.

Your bird appears to be a recessive pied due to the lack of markings, recessive pieds will not get iris rings. However the double factor dominant pied looks very similar to that of a recessive pied the main difference being that Double factor dominant pieds will get iris rings, if he develops iris rings then it is highly likely he is in fact a double factor dominant pied and not a recessive pied.

·
Budgie Nut
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's all very confusing..............:S Not that it really matters if he has them or not - although i always thought they gave a budgie a bit of an "evil" look :laughing:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yup, those are definitely iris rings.

I'd say he's a double factor dominant pied as well...but I'm no expert. The iris rings makes Ollie look even cuter. ;)

·
Budgie Nut
3,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's still my Ollie - iris rings or no iris rings. I give up on mutations though, they just totally confuse me! :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.