Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am here in Hawaii and I would like to focus on violets. I am starting out with 12 birds. One is a visual violet **** who is one year old and he just sired two chicks. One chick is an albino. I have to wait a little bit to see what color the other chic is. The **** was bred to a sky blue recessive pied. Next I have a sky blue violet dom pied, and he is paired to a grey opaline. I am not sure how this bird will perform. I have had him for one year and he was a 2019 hatch. I paired with the grey opaline because she is a good mother.
Next I have a Green Violet Dom Pied, and last year he gave me some good colors. This year I have him paired to a violet sky blue hen. Last clutch I got a nice violet TCB and sky blue violet. So this time, I am hoping to get cobalt. The violet green dom pied I am thinking is a dark green, so I should get one cobalt. Now my last violet pair is a violet mauve spangle that is paired with a violet skyblue female who tends to lay good, but she will leave the nest. So I am anxious. If this doesnt work, I have another violet light green hen I can put with this ****. I have also had him about a year and he has not bred.

Any of you folks have any suggestions? For next years pairings I have a violet sky blue, grey cinamon, violet TCB, Sky Blue TCB and Lutino split to violet.

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forums~

Sounds like you've got a lot of experience breeding your birds. Violet factors are co-dominant so I don't think you can have a bird split to violet; any bird carrying a violet factor would show it. The lutino could be carrying a violet factor but it would be hard to tell given his/her mutation. If you want to figure out if he has it or not I'd pair him with the grey cinnamon (provided they're a male and a female, lol - which ones are the hens?) and see what happens. Sky blues and cobalts tend to have the best "true violet" coloring so I'd focus on getting those. Because of that I wouldn't breed any cobalts together because then you also can get mauves, which aren't as "violet". It seems like you have a lot of violet birds however so you should be getting lots of violet chicks regardless!

We'd love to see photos of your flock if you have any :D

Feel free to look around, and if you have any questions after doing so, be sure to ask as we'd love to help!

Cheers~

1 - 2 of 2 Posts