Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I always wanted a Greywing Dominant Pied but those are so rare around here...mainly because people don't really breed Greywings much.

So the birds I want to include in my plan are:

Boys:

Winter: Full Body Coloured Greywing Violet Cobalt

Sky: Single Factor Dominant Pied Cobalt

Girls:

Autumn: Greywing Skyblue

Aria: Double Factor Dominant Pied Opaline Cobalt

At first I wanted to pair up Winter with Autumn to get Greywing babies, but yesterday I thought that the pair would only produce chicks that would look like the parents...and I want variations.

So I thought if I take a longer route:

Pair 1:

Winter X Aria - they'll give me:

Normal Single Factor Dominant Pied Cobalts
Normal Single Factor Dominant Pied Violet Cobalts

These birds will be Split to Greywing...is that correct?

Pair 2:

Sky X Autumn - they'll give me:

Normal Single Factor Dominant Pied Skyblues
Normal Cobalts
Normal Skyblues

These birds will also be split to Greywing, is that correct?

Then if I pick a Normal SF Dominant Pied Cobalt chick from Pair 1's clutch, and a Normal Single Factor Dominant Pied chick from Pair 2's clutch and breed them

Normal SF Dominant Pied Violet Cobalt/Greywing X Normal SF Dominant Pied Cobalt/Greywing:

Then I can get:

Normal Double Factor Dominant Pied Cobalts
Normal Single Factor Dominant Pied Violet Cobalts
Normal Double Factor Dominant Pied Violet Cobalts
Greywing Single Factor Dominant Pied Cobalts
Greywing Double Factor Dominant Pied Cobalts
Greywing Single Factor Dominant Pied Violet Cobalts
Greywing Double Factor Dominant Pied Violet Cobalts

Is this the possible outcome?

Have I missed out on any other possibilities?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Your plan sounds good. Just wanted to throw this out there. Your FBC greywing carries one greywing gene and one clearwing gene. So half of the babies will inhere the greywing and the other half the clearwing gene. And you won't know which ones got which genes. So Winter and Aria will give you 100% dominant pieds with half split to clearwing and half split to greywing.

A visual greywing can have two greywing genes or a greywing and a dilute. Either way, it would look like a greywing. So, if she has a greywing and a dilute gene, the offspring could be half split to greywing and half split to dilute.

So depending on the offspring you pick to pair up, you can get greywings (with 2 greywing genes or one greywing one dilute), or FBC greywings if the young inherit a clearwing and a greywing, OR clearwings if they inherit a clearwing from the first pair and a dilute from the second pair.

Ultimately, you could get dom pied greywings from your plan, but you might get a lot of other stuff too. :D Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Your plan sounds good. Just wanted to throw this out there. Your FBC greywing carries one greywing gene and one clearwing gene. So half of the babies will inhere the greywing and the other half the clearwing gene. And you won't know which ones got which genes. So Winter and Aria will give you 100% dominant pieds with half split to clearwing and half split to greywing.

A visual greywing can have two greywing genes or a greywing and a dilute. Either way, it would look like a greywing. So, if she has a greywing and a dilute gene, the offspring could be half split to greywing and half split to dilute.

So depending on the offspring you pick to pair up, you can get greywings (with 2 greywing genes or one greywing one dilute), or FBC greywings if the young inherit a clearwing and a greywing, OR clearwings if they inherit a clearwing from the first pair and a dilute from the second pair.

Ultimately, you could get dom pied greywings from your plan, but you might get a lot of other stuff too. :D Hope that made sense.
I'd be happy as long as I'll get either Greywing Dominant Pied, Dilute Dominant Pied, Clearwing dominant Pied or FBC Greywing Dominant Pied.

But your response does make me nervous...lol.

So basically you're saying, after what you said, the chances of getting a Greywing/Clearwing/Dilute,FBC Greywing is slimmer, if I consider Aria is not split to any other grey marking mutations?

But even so, the other clutch would be split to Greywing or Dilute if Autumn is a pure Greywing or Greywing/Dilute?

Shouldn't that at least guarantee chances of getting a Dominant Pied with Grey markings?

I'm confused...I hope I made sense and didn't confuse you too. :p

Oh that reminds me...I think I see a slight violet colouring near Aria's Neck...could this mean she's a Single Factor Violet like Winter too?
It doesn't show up in the pictures or I might be seeing things...but if that's true, then it means the pair would also throw in some Dominant Pied Violets :eek:
That'd be incredible!

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I was hoping I didn't confuse you. Darn! Ok. All I was saying is that you MAY get other dilution mutations other than greywings because we don't know if your greywing has 2 greywing genes or a greywing and a dilute. And your FBC greywing carries a greywing and a clearwing gene. So there will be some babies from the first pairing that are split to clearwing instead of greywing and you won't be able to tell which is which until breeding. :) Dilution genetics can be very confusing.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
You should stick with your plan. It's a good plan. I just wanted to throw some more possibilities in there. :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was hoping I didn't confuse you. Darn! Ok. All I was saying is that you MAY get other dilution mutations other than greywings because we don't know if your greywing has 2 greywing genes or a greywing and a dilute. And your FBC greywing carries a greywing and a clearwing gene. So there will be some babies from the first pairing that are split to clearwing instead of greywing and you won't be able to tell which is which until breeding. :) Dilution genetics can be very confusing.
Well that'd be fine by me...but will I get Dilution Mutations combined with Dominant Pied for certain? That's what I want to make sure of...since when the moment comes where I'll have to pick 2 chicks to be paired up to give me what I desire...I wouldn't trust myself to pick the right ones...lol

Thanks for shedding some light into this :D

lol I'm making plans like a year and a half ahead...it'll be hard to wait that long.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I have a greywing recessive pied, but I've never seen a greywing dominant pied. I'm looking forward to seeing if you breed one. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Oh that reminds me...I think I see a slight violet colouring near Aria's Neck...could this mean she's a Single Factor Violet like Winter too?
It doesn't show up in the pictures or I might be seeing things...but if that's true, then it means the pair would also throw in some Dominant Pied Violets :eek:
That'd be incredible!
From that picture, she looks like she has a violet factor to me too. :)

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have a greywing recessive pied, but I've never seen a greywing dominant pied. I'm looking forward to seeing if you breed one. :)
I've bought one a while ago but she seemed to have had a tumour near the vent so I had taken her back and got Autumn.

Then I bought another male (Dilute I think) for my tutor...and he was the cutest thing! ♥

But she was the most beautiful greywing/dilute I've ever seen! :eek:

I've seen some pictures on the internet too...they're all so beautiful.

I have a hunch that Aria is also part Recessive Pied, because her iris rings hasn't shown yet whilst all the other budgies I have, at her age have had at least slightly visible dark grey Iris rings...so will have to wait a couple of months to be sure.

But I've been thinking about the worst case scenarios:

For example if I get a Normal Dominant Pied Cobalt/Greywing and pair it with a Normal Dominant Pied Cobalt/Dilute,

I'll get a Greywing Dominant Pied Cobalt.

Then if I get a Normal Dominant Pied Cobalt/Greywing and pair it with a Normal Dominant Pied Cobalt/Clearwing, I could get FBC Greywing Dominant Pied Cobalt.

Or if I get a Normal Dominant Pied Cobalt/Clearwing and pair it with a Normal Dominant Pied Cobalt/Dilute, I'd get Clearwing Dominant Pied Cobalt.

So basically, this guarantees at least 1 dilution mutation with Dominant Pied!

By the way if it's not too much to ask...may I ask you to share a picture of your Greywing Recessive Pied? I've never seen one :D

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
If you mated one of the single factor dominant pied chicks that is split for greywing (or other dilution) to another greywing you could expect to get about 25% dominant pied greywing (or other dilution). This is a higher percentage than you would get from pairing two split birds

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.