Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I'll post pictures later, but what should I look for in a 1- 2 week old chick to identify its mutation? Specifically, what identifies pieds, normals, and opalines? :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have my camera now to take pictures of the chicks, but the dad is a normal sky blue split for opaline and recessive pied (and God knows what else) and the mom is a normal light green split for recessive pied.

I'm pretty sure that the first chick is a recessive pied because its little pinnies are coming in yellow and its body is mostly pink with some dark patches here and there. And the tail pinnies are yellow with a couple of black ones.

The second and third chicks have a very organized pattern of dark spots on their skin and overall are much darker than the first.

The parents are in my signature. :)

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Outcomes for normal sky blue/opaline & rp **** bird x normal light green/rp hen:

100% of the chicks will be light green split to blue.
If the hen is split to blue, then 50% will be light green split to blue and 50% will be sky blue.

25% will be normal, 50% will be normal split to recessive pied, and 25% will be recessive pied.

50% of the male chicks will be normal and 50% will be normal split to opaline.
50% of the female chicks will be normal and 50% will be opaline.

Since I'm not a breeder -- I've only bred my budgies casually a few times -- all I can tell you is your first chick will be light green due to yellow pinnies. :p My blue series recessive pied chicks all had white down; I've never bred any green budgies.

I'm interested to read what the experts say!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I know what to expect as far as outcomes go, I'm just trying to make guesses as to what the chicks are from an early age. :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Usually you can identify pieds when the are about a week old. Look for light and dark areas on their backs and wings

Opalines will have very white down and normals have grey down

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.