Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 girls and 1 boy... fail. ik. my first one ive had she was the only one with clipped wings. trauma from wings clipped for store distribution. ive had her almost 4 years. i was 16 or 17. nobody told me what to do or give me any knowledge. my sister worked at this pet store. i thought i could have this pet. i love her she loves me. i got another girl at petco.. petcos suck. she is more timid and they did well together. my first girl is still obsessed with me. at my sisters store 2 years later near christmas. there was a boy that had no clipped wings he was so young. he was stuck flying in the store for a week. i wasnt going to get one but they kept encouraging me and i felt bad he went through so much. now after a year and a half hes growing up. the girls push him off but now both my first girl and him are wanting the timid girl. im so depressed and i let them out of the cage so much to exercise. i dont want him or them to get hurt and im soooo uneducated to let them breed. idk what to do this is my cry for help. i have another small cage but hes bad with my hands still and i cant pursue him to get into a cage by himself. i dont want to give him away to lets the girls get sad but i dont want fighting and to keep making them distrust me. they dont eat veggies or fruit im tryibg so hard and im learning everyday. what do i do? they are their own people and not just pets i was a kid. please scold me or tell me anythibg to help. i love them im just foolish. my parent and sister are clueless and dont care as much. they are my everyday.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Your problems are fixable so don't despair!
I need the names of your budgies - it makes things much easier when I'm writing to you.

1. How big is the cage the three budgies are in currently?
Measure it in inches and give me the Length, Width and Height.

2. You are going to need to get an adequate sized cage for the male budgie. This means one that is a minimum of 30" Long x 18" Wide x 18" High.
Ensure the spacing between the bars is no more than 1/2"

3. Once you have the new cage and it is all set up, then dim the lights and use a soft cloth to catch the male (name?) and place him gently into his new cage.

4. Place the cage with the male budgie is a DIFFERENT room than the cage with the two females. Play music in both rooms to help minimize flock calling.
This will (hopefully) only be temporary for a few weeks.

5. Rearrange the females (names) cage totally. Limit their daylight hours to no more than 8 hours per day. NEVER put anything in their cage that can be used as a nesting site.
Watch to ensure that the older female is not bullying the young more timid one once the male has been removed from the equation.

6. You will need to schedule regular and consistent time to spend with the male budgie since he will be in a different room from the females for awhile.
After a few weeks time, you should be able to move his cage back into the same room with the females' cage. HOWEVER, I do NOT recommend you put the two cages side by side.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much this means everything to me. My 3 year old female is Crissy. my 2 year old female is Unique and the little boy is Griffin. The cage they are using is 20"L x 16" W x 29" H. the dont always sleep in it they sometimes sleep on the roof or a hanging perch. i was planning on another cage but ive had financial problems so ive saved up for a new one. i was planning on getting a much bigger longer not taller one recently. i have another cage that is smaller that i used for Crissy in the beginning and changed to the bigger cage for both not knowing id need more room and that I was going to get Griffin. If i do order this much bigger one i could let Griffin use the recent cage so its big. the cages i do have are too tall and narrow and im learning that now. But for the moment i have only those 2 cages before i buy another/ 2 more. I love this guy and they do get along they just have wing clipping and handler traumas so they dont like getting too close. i appreciate everything you are saying and im setting up a vet visit also. for the cage issue it would last a couple days in the 2 small cages. any recomended ones for the 2 girls? I will read so much on this site and i thank you for giving me this information.

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
Send me a Private Conversation letting me know how much you want to spend on the cage(s) and I'll give you recommendations privately.

It would be best if in the future you start having all of your budgies go into their cages at night time.
It's important for budgies to have a routine and a set wake up and bedtime are part of that. ;)
We are going to get every budgie healthy and happy!!

·
Super Moderator
18,454 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forums!

FaeryBee has given great advice and I agree with her totally. Thank you for helping your little ones live a better life than they would have otherwise!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything! If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Please keep us posted!

Cheers! 👋

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have 2 girls and 1 boy... fail. ik. my first one ive had she was the only one with clipped wings. trauma from wings clipped for store distribution. ive had her almost 4 years. i was 16 or 17. nobody told me what to do or give me any knowledge. my sister worked at this pet store. i thought i could have this pet. i love her she loves me. i got another girl at petco.. petcos suck. she is more timid and they did well together. my first girl is still obsessed with me. at my sisters store 2 years later near christmas. there was a boy that had no clipped wings he was so young. he was stuck flying in the store for a week. i wasnt going to get one but they kept encouraging me and i felt bad he went through so much. now after a year and a half hes growing up. the girls push him off but now both my first girl and him are wanting the timid girl. im so depressed and i let them out of the cage so much to exercise. i dont want him or them to get hurt and im soooo uneducated to let them breed. idk what to do this is my cry for help. i have another small cage but hes bad with my hands still and i cant pursue him to get into a cage by himself. i dont want to give him away to lets the girls get sad but i dont want fighting and to keep making them distrust me. they dont eat veggies or fruit im tryibg so hard and im learning everyday. what do i do? they are their own people and not just pets i was a kid. please scold me or tell me anythibg to help. i love them im just foolish. my parent and sister are clueless and dont care as much. they are my everyday.
i really feel for you mckoifish, i've only been a member on here for a few days and got some great advise, I'm sure further good advise will follow for you as well. the only veg mine will eat is cabbage and lettuce, however just found out on here that lettuce doesn't have a huge amount of nutritional value for them, but hey i guess we are all on constant learning curve, hope it all works out for your birdies

·
Administrator
56,543 Posts
mckoisfish and I have now discussed appropriate cages and how to separate the budgies for their optimal health and well-being.
mckoisfish is very receptive to making the necessary changes and her budgies are going to have a great life with her.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mckoisfish and I have now discussed appropriate cages and how to separate the budgies for their optimal health and well-being.
mckoisfish is very receptive to making the necessary changes and her budgies are going to have a great life with her.
that is fantastic news, and yes they will have a good life and mckoisfish will definately see the benefits of it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts